Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Arpeggio Loudspeaker
Arpeggio Loudspeaker
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2013, 01:30 PM   #21
fishinjc is offline fishinjc  United States
diyAudio Member

Default FE166ES-R/ Bottlehead/ Arpeggios

I own a pair of FE166ES-R, Bottlehead S.E.X. amp w/ iron supplement and C4S upgrade, Marchand XM1 crossover, and powered subs. I've been using the crossover and sub with a pair of CHR70 folded half towers which sound very nice! So nice that I barely listen to the fostex/bottlehead combo.
I would like to get rid of the Fostex BLHs and try the Arpeggios. This would allow me to have a nice A-B setup reminiscent of my old studio days.
I've studied Mr Morgan's great article and arrived at a volume of 17.32 L and Fe of 83.63hz.
I'm looking for some advice concerning the zobel and output impedance from the experts out there. It seems like i am on the right track?
Thanks in advance.
Old 24th September 2015, 02:10 AM   #22
cobar53 is offline cobar53  Australia
diyAudio Member

Now that the 166FE has been replaced by the 166Fn, has there been a reqork of the Arpeggio design?
Old 12th October 2015, 02:11 PM   #23
100decibels is offline 100decibels  Canada
diyAudio Member

My idea was to use 3/4 baltic plywood with a different method of assembly and i found the actual volume seems more close to 16 litre instead of 18 litre it suppose to be.

I am wrong
Old 24th May 2017, 05:31 AM   #24
theaudiopath is offline theaudiopath  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thankyou. It was this article that made me decide on a pair of Fe166 drivers to explore the set/fullrange phenomenon further. You by sharing make all of us a little wiser
Old 18th September 2021, 04:17 AM   #25
cobar53 is offline cobar53  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default What about a Fostex FE206en?

Has anyone experience with using this driver?
If so may I seek advice on the Zobel values?
I seem to have arrived at RZ = 6.8 ohms and C2 at 1.35uF but that does not seem correct.
Old 8th October 2021, 04:18 PM   #26
MGCRead is offline MGCRead  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

This thread seems to have died which is a pity as it would be nice to know if anyone has actually built these speakers and their subsequent listening experience. I have just built a pair of WAD 300B amps but they are not powerful enough to drive my Wilmsloe Audio TL12 speakers, so I thought I would build these. The Fostex FE166 are no longer made but the FF165WD seems to have a very similar set of parameters. But I would greatly welcome some expert advice on this swap and then I can, perhaps, resurrect this interesting speaker design.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Cheers Malcolm
Old 8th October 2021, 04:33 PM   #27
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

Arpeggio Loudspeaker
Due to the Articles section temporarily being on hold, I'd suggest posting this question in the Full-Range subforum and linking here for reference.
Old 8th October 2021, 05:08 PM   #28
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Arpeggio Loudspeaker
What Allen said.

I had some comments when Malcolm firdt did these.

The FE166 (any FExx6) really wants to be in a horn. If you want any bass anyway.

You would be better served, if you want to do a reflex box, to look at other drivers. The Fostex FF165wk, Mark Audio A10.3/p, CHN-110, Alpair 11ms, i am sure that suitable Tandbands and others are out there as well.

dave
Old 8th October 2021, 05:34 PM   #29
MGCRead is offline MGCRead  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hello Dave

sorry I meant the Fostex FF165WK. Any reason why I shouldn't just fit them into Mr Jones' original design ?

Having read around a bit I see that you recommend the SEAS FA22 and a rather nice six sided cabinet. I am a competent woodworker so an interesting cabinet is of interest !

Btw my oscilloscope has died ( it is a Phillips and probably well over 30 years old ). So I need a new one; any recommendation about what to get ? My requirements are basic so a budget of 300-350 is what I had in mind, but less would be good :-)

Malcolm
Old 8th October 2021, 05:54 PM   #30
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Arpeggio Loudspeaker
FF165 can be used in some horns designed for FE166 (ie Victor, FHXL), but vented boxes will be quite different.

I haven’t done as much work on FF165 as others, i owe the forum a CGR (the smaller one will be free for diy use), the official paid planset only has a trapezoid, a twin trapezoid, the Compact Floorstander and a centre.

The small CGR would be a morphing of the centre into a Classic Golden Ratio shape so VERY sililar performance.

https://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/P10f...tre-130813.pdf

Quote:
Having read around a bit I see that you recommend the SEAS FA22 and a rather nice six sided cabinet. I am a competent woodworker so an interesting cabinet is of interest !
I do like the SEAS FA22, i tend to think it shoud go into a sealed box… which can be made almost any shape. I prefer the MA Alpairs, and if you are a woodworker and want. challenge, the full on trapezoidal miniOnkens are certainly that.

This Alpair 12p trapezoid is the same size as the large FF165wk Fonken165TT (sitting upside down on a protoType woofT. I tend to prefer the Alpair, but the 2 drivers are both quite good, close when one considers the balance of the compromises made, the FF165wk being about a dB more sensitive.

dave

dave

Arpeggio LoudspeakerHide this!Advertise here!