diy projector from the Philippines

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just a suggestions to newbies. If you can keep the temperature low in your pj, remove all the glasses after the light engine, you will be surprise of the improve color vividness and image sharpness of your projector.

you can better make the best alignment of all your pj parts while the pj is in action. Position yourself at the back of pj with the back cover remove and start moving the light engine first, then the fresnel then the projection lens while looking and check out the image(adjust sideways or up and down). I did this because I am not good in measurements. This looks dangerous especially when moving the light engine. In my case, i connect a long piece of wood to the bottom of the light engine base so that I cn move it without getting too close. Shut-off the power then mark the position after getting the right spot.

Please observe safety precautions by wearing thick hand gloves and dark eyeglasses. This is very risky! PLEASE, you are already forewarned. do not do what i did if you are not sure of how you can do this without accident.

I spend so many weeks trying to align the parts and get the best image. but when I did align it while the pj is in action, i did the trick in just less than an hour.

Hope this help!

Attachments

• outline5 083.jpg
    outline5 083.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 4,231
Here is the comparison of Epson DLP425 vs my PJ.

The epson is running 1121 hours already but still is very bright.

I hook up my pj using composite cable and uses the s-video for epson both connected to the same dvd player. As you can see, two images are impose on the screen.

Take your pick. These sample images may help other people to decide whether to buy a used commercial projector or build a pj for themselves.

Attachments

• outline5 095.jpg
    outline5 095.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 4,568
Epson looks brighter but in terms of color quality, I should say I am very proud of my projector. Epson dlp425 color is really off no matter what adjustment i made.What can u say guys!

I will try to borrow another friends infocus X1. Watch out for it. I will probably be posting a lot of pictures soon.

oops sorry faithblinded! I had just packed the epson to return it to my friend tomorrow and already clean up the messes in my living room. Its12mn already here in Manila. But anyway' to give you an idea, this is what i observed.

Judging from my normal viewing distance, you won't notice any difference.

But when you get closer by about 5 ft that is when you will notice that epson is less pixelated than my pj.

Please take a look at the images taken at the same distance, you wont notice any difference in sharpness but my pj color vividness really stand-out.

i will be evaluating the epson x1 soon and i will try to do your recommendation first.

thanks for the input.

I would have to agree with you on that, your projectors colour is much better, and I would go for colour over brightness when choosing a pj. Also with the pixelation, if you don't notice from where you sit, then it doesn't matter to me, so I would definately go the DIY route, which I am already doing.

Even if I dislike this comparison between commercial-pj and diy-pj, which now is in every thread, I have to say some words here.

Normally a dlp-projector blow away a lcd-setup when it comes to color and contrast. When you use a dlp-projector so that it give the best colors you must set it in movie-mode, otherwise it use the white colorsegment in the colorwheel and you get picture with a green tint and less color like your picture show.

I have self compared the color of my 3 panel lcd-projector with my diy-pj, and my diy-projector had no chance against the commercialprojector, the color on my commercialpj is even better than my 19" tft monitor. The magic is polysilicon.

I´m waiting for the infocus X1 comparement (in movie-mode I hope).

this epson dlp425 is really made for presentation purposes. Epson is way much clearer and brighter when it comes to text presentation.

For movie mode, I believe epson x1 will default to lower brightness. But for this particular model, there is no movie mode setting in the menu. You can adjust the brightness as much as you want.

You may see some greenish effect but in the actual image, you won't notice this. The color is really way off no matter how much color adjustment that you make.
We just don't know how this epson dlp425 performed when new.

Thanks for the comment. May be epson x1 will give me real picture of how my pj compares with commercial projector.

Thanks pare. Nasorpesa ako biglang may nag tagalog!

My friend also don't want to dismantle his x1 from his ceiling. Maybe i will just bring the camera,tripod and dvd player to his house to take pictures.

* correction in one of my post. It should read "those infocus model are really great" Sorry guys, my error.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.