What to use as screen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
screen
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

m_137185B88F25DF10.jpg

bjou said:
screen
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

WHOOHOO another "Rougue Torus"... Well done bjou :)

I've since removed the wedges that curved the screen in the vertical plain so that I am back to a "curved" screen...

Mark

For the past 5 years I have had great success from Blackout material.

You can actually get Blackout material in a 54" wide roll if you look around a bit (I think I used JoAnns too).

Five years ago I found a great thread over on AVS describing a simple procedure for an amazing screen. Unfortunately I don't have the link anymore, but I'll summarize:

Basically, what you are going to make is a giant "screen door" but instead of using screen-door mesh, you will use the blackout fabric instead.

In my case, I wanted a huge 2.35:1 screen, so with 54" as the max width of the fabric, that gives 127" for the length.

1) Build a plywood base that is a bit larger than your screensize. In my case it was about 62" x 135". I just made a simple frame of 1x2s and screwed 1/2" plywood to it.

2) Buy the metal screendoor hardware. These are small metal "tracks" that you normally fit screen door mesh over. There is a long plastic "bead" that fits in a groove in the metal track. Just get several lengths of this metal track and make a giant rectangle of it, and mount the rectangle to the plywood base.

3) You should now have a plywood base with a rectanglar metal track mounted on it. The track just screws right to the plywood. So now lay your blackout material over the rectangular screen door track. Starting in one corner, use the plastic beading material to wedge the blackout fabric into the grooves. This is the hardest part. If you have ever repaired or built a screen door, you know what I mean. It's a bit tricky to stretch the material over the track without wrinkles.

I found that by working out from one corner, going slowly, and doing a bit on one side, then move over and do a bit on the other side, then back again. As you go, don't pull on the fabric too much. Pushing the beading into the groove will stretch the fabric enough.

I had a bunch of wrinkles that sort of magically disappeared once I got all the way around and had it fully stretched.

Since the track material is about 1/4" thick, the blackout material will be nicely stretched just above the plywood. In my case, it only took one attempt to get a great result. After five years of having this hanging on my wall, it has not lost it's stretch and still works great.

For pictures of the theater from 5 years ago, you can go here: http://www.zuggsoft.com/house/home_theater.htm although the photography is pretty bad.

I've heard rumors of people painting their blackout material, but I haven't dared to try that yet. I've been so happy with my current results. The gain is almost 1:1, with no hotspotting and full 180 degree viewing.

The only minor disadvantage that I can see is that the blackout fabric has a very slight texture to it, and when I get a better projector this fall, I'm worried that it will have an effect, so I'm currently researching possible coatings.

But I just had to post this because it was one of the easiest DIY projects I have ever had, and the results were just amazing. It was *far* better than hanging a sheet or using a white wall. It's fairly light and just hangs on the wall like a giant picture frame, so it is easily moved by 2 people if you ever need to move to a new house. It's perfectly flat and has no artifacts that I've ever been able to detect. And since I don't have any kids, I've never had to clean it (otherwise, keep your grimy hands off of it...it would be a pain to clean uniformly, and you could also rub the coating off the fabric).

I ended up buying my screen material off ebay. it works great!!! I've had it for...I guess about a year (not sure) and it is great. hasnt sagged at all. I dont remember the seller but they are located in PA. it ended up being under $50 (shipping included) I planned on turning the room into a really nice theater but after some thinking- I should spend my money elsewhere. the screen came in 130" diagonal. I wrapped it around a 120" frame. no problem. I will probably be cutting it to around 80" and putting the set up in my bedroom after I get some furniture out of here.

I don't suppose you'd be able to test the polarisation quality of this material? I'm debating if it's worth swapping out my current monitor in the projector with a passive 3D monitor... but I don't currently have a screen that reflects the polarised light so it won't work. How much did your material cost and where did you get it if you don't mind me asking?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.