What to use as screen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
did a comparison between windows shade, parkland plastic, and blackout cloth.

window shades are easiest to setup. and it can roll up/retract when you don't need it.

parkland plastics are heay material and gives the bast result

blackout cloth is the cheapest to get and is a little bit darker than parkland plastics.

Attachments

• screen comparison.jpg
    screen comparison.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 4,124
Recently ordered a Screen Technics fixed screen and they supplied a roll down one.......before it I compared the image on the screen to the image on the wall..................................The image on the wall was clearer:D .........returned the screen, sanded bogged and painted the wall.................Saved myself $1000 on a fixed screen......................... The paint I used was Dulux Vespri in quarter tint. Presently I think the screen manufacturers are full of it.:smash:

I was thinking about how it is really hard for 1 person to compare their results with another's. Even with a camera, its very difficult. I thought thtat maybe we could compare much easier if we create a standard. My idea is that everyone with a screen they would like to show results from takes a picture from either directly in front, or at some specified angle, or both, and has a piece of ordinary printing paper also getting projected on. This way, the picture can show, relatively, how good the screen is compared to the paper. They can put paper in there setup and see if the screen in the picture is better/worse than the one they have. As soon as we have a way to compare by using a standard, I think we will be able to make much more progress...

what do you guys think?

I use matte silver wrapping paper

HIGH CONTRAST SCREEN----

(Get realistic colors and a hot high contrast image.)

This project costs approximately $40.

For a 8’ x 6’ screen obtain two 4’ x 8’ white tile boards, five 1”x 2”x 8’ furring strips, construction adhesive, 4 rolls of matte (not shiny) fine silver flake Hallmark 6’ long wrapping paper and 3M spray adhesive.

Trim tile board in two equal sections of 4’ x 6’ dimensions (Lowes/Home Depot can do it for 50 cents so I’d let them do it for you.) Join the sections from the back using construction adhesive and the panel remains. Take care that the screen edges butt tightly together. On back of screen constructive adhesive the furring strip around the perimeter of tile board for stability.

Once dry flip panel over (white smooth side facing up) and fill the seam of the joint with filler. (It has to be very smooth like the tile board with no imperfections.) Now using 3M spray adhesive apply it in small sections and roll out the matt fine silver flake Hallmark wrapping paper (6’ long and will be applied in the vertical 6’ direction) and continue to smooth it down. (Practice applying the paper on a scrap piece first!) After screen is hung (it can be days later), remove remaining air bubbles or imperfections using a hot blow dryer and re-smooth with hand.

The results are amazing. No hot spots in image with vibrant colors and excellent contrast. The silver flake in the wallpaper is so fine and uniform that it looks as if you are looking at a glass picture tube. Silver spray paint can’t match the uniform results of silver wrapping paper.

thrifstores

especially the Salvation army one's have a lot of screens for sale,
in this area at around $10.00 per screen (including the whole metal feet etc...

I stick with the black out cloth (bought at Walmart) at $5.00 per yard.
I tried the photo board with white side, i tried painting a board, etc...

nothing has given ME better result than blackout cloth.
I have my screen in a rather warm room, and finished it in sept 02.
it ihas not one wrinkle, is clean and is smooth as sillk.
I tacked it on a wooden frame, I made of the cheapest wood that I could find at Homedepot

J-P

Although I haven't built a video projector yet, I collect old 8mm films, so I needed a screen. I figured that the best thing I could possibly use for a screen would be a screen!, so off to ebay I went and typed in "slide projector screen", I got a few million results, and ended up buying a nice silver 8'x6' wall mount screen. Now, it's not really a DIY screen, but it shows a hell of a picture. One thing I almost bought was this other stuff they sell at Jo-Ann, it's called "Duck Cloth", the woman said it's what they used to use for sailboat sails before nylon came out. It's like a really thin yet strong canvas and comes in all colors, the white stuff looked like it could've made a good screen, probibly better than my original bed sheet screen.

PVC as screen material

Hi, I would like to mention that 1mm white PVC is a great (and inexpensive) projection material. Sheets can be bent, drilled and heat-folded even heat-welded to one another, sanded, painted (if necessary) and come in sizes of 1m x 2m and larger.

be certain to ask for non-glossy, matte, seidenmatt, or brushed!

application from my studio: http://horopter.net/diploma/displayimage.php?pos=-72

I once made a screen using a 'roll-up' bathroom blind.

It was actually quite effective - very cheap too :)

It has the benefit that it can be ceiling mounted and kept rolled when not in use.

Typically, you can find them at your local DIY superstore; they come in a range of colours, the one I used was white but you can also get them with a slightly silvered finish which may be even better for projection.

For stability when using this type of screen, it helps to extend the blind 'pull-cord' so it reaches to the floor and have a cable-tack that you can hook the cord onto.

Testing Paint

Hello, I am rearranging my room and so am going to need a screen (not a wall like I am currently using). My white wall seems to work very well, and I would like to avoid lossing much quality. If I make a screen out of a solid material and paint, is there a good way to test different paints without having to buy a million of them? Everyone seems to have done test and I can never find the paints they used etc. Is there a cheap way I can test out the paints at a local retailer?

Also, my room is filled with white walls, and when I get bright scenes, the screen gets somewhat flooded. If I were to hang some black cloth and the wall that will be close to the screen so keep ambient light down, will this help any? Do white walls close to the screen effect the washing out or is it simply screen material or is it some of both? If both, which has a greater effect?

Thanks

Hi fellas...lol welcome the nub. What i am using for the screen is used in showers and comes in a sheet that is 4' x 8' and is .09 inches thick. For the life of me i cannot remeber the name. On one side of the board it is rough and bumpy and if you just look at that, you'll turn it down as an option. If you turn the board over, you'll notice a very eye pleasing flat white board. I haven't done it yet, but I am going to dust the board with a high heat Aluminum enamel since someone already tried that spray on formica laminate and had a gain of 1.1-1.5 with black borders. The sheet came out to aroun $21 including tax from home depot and was found near the wood isle. Ima look around and see if I can't find the name of the board. If you want to see a pic, jsut let me know.

Wel, that's funny, i was just looking around and found this forum asking what do you use as a screen?

Well, normally I use a seventeen inch computer monitor like most everyone else, but I just set the comptuer up in the living room for a movie, so the screen is now a 52" rear-projection tv.

Fancy that I'm looking at the forums while I'm sitting in the living room eh?

I am using Blackout cloth retrofitted onto roll-up blind.
Vinly blind: smooth and bright texture, hotspot issure, waves
Blackout cloth: heavier in weight, softer picture but less wave patterns, no hotspot problems

Another screen material is of type Acoustic Transparent (sound travel through the screen which mean speakers can be placed behind it). I experimented with some grey speaker grill cloth I had bought from SoundDomain. http://www.cardomain.com/shoplist~t~Speaker+Grille+Cloths.

Advantage: richer colors and acoustic transparent.
Disadvantage: light behind the screen must be controlled. Screen must be double layered.

Bottom line: I believe that similar fabic can achived acoustic transparency.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.