Commercial Projector Ballast Bypass Guide

Solution! - Bypassing Ballast of Epson Powerlite 74c

Never mind the previous post, I got it! :smash:

After finding a service manual to a model very close to this one, I was able to confirm that the 5 pin connector labeled SCI was the ballast control which handles the light and ballast. After reading crazifunguy's other forum on the infocus x projectors, I tried disconnecting the 5v wire and grounding the 3v. This was successful!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

crazifunguy, thanks for the informative threads! This is now another model projector that can verify these methods!

Thanks - works - but fuse blows when source plugged in

I suppose there is some grounding issue going on..I got the projector running with the ballast bypassed and could see the video1 text when I shone a light through it..but when I plugged in the video source..which was on..BOOM!

I can see the fuse is totally blown/black and silver on the powerboard where the mains come in...

anyone have any ideas as to what is going on?

Duncan

NEC VT676 projector balast by past

Hi I am new here & I am hoping some body can help me fire up my projector so I can use an alternative light source.
I have a NEC VT676 projector I bought off ebay sold as spare parts because the ballast unit was not working.
when it arrived it had no ballast unit at all so I had no way of knowing which terminal was the ballast connection.
I have been able to rent a service manual however it has very little info about the ballast unit.
I stumbled across this site & tried some of the connections described on this site but all failed.
The projector goes through start up sequence then shuts down flashing lamp error code.
There are 5 terminals going to the ballast unit two have 3.3V
Pin 1 is RXD should be 0.2V in stand by & on mode, but is 3.3V
Pin 2 is GND
Pin 3 is 3.3V but if grounded & shuts all down
Pin 4 lamp power should be 3.3V on stand by & 1.6V when on, but is 0V
Pin 5 TXD should be 3.3V, but is 0.2V
I have grounded pin 1 no effect
Pin 1 RXD serial I/F (send)
Pin 5 TXD serial I/F (receive) perhaps the main board is looking for a signal or wave form instead of a high low voltage.
If any one has any info or ideas about this problem I would appreciate your help
Garry

Guys I have an issue with my projector that MAY be related to a bad lamp ballast of my IN72 Infocus projector. Basically, I hear a small sound when I plug in the power cable into the wall. I then hear the projector fan for a second or so, with the power light blinking once, and then it shuts down. Does ANYONE know how to fix this? I certainly don't want to get ripped off from Infocus support to get this fixed.

Please let me know what options I have. I tried opening it up, but couldn't figure out how to get in there to see if the fuse was blown or something. Anyone have any diagrams, pics or something? I'm guessing that since the fan (or whatever it is making that sound) turns on for a moment, the fuse is no blown. Is that a safe assumption?

Looking forward to any guidance here...

Couple of Qs:
1-
I tried this to power up an eiki eip-25 and nothing. I may be doing it wrong. I followed the steps and grounded a 4V wire (4V according to my voltmeter) but i get nothing. There was another wire that read 1.5V. Should I ground that one?

2-
How do I bypass the entire detection system so that the color wheel spins and everything functions at it should ignoring the lamp altogether?

Thanks in advance.

Dear Crazifunguy
I know... you use to bypass a projector's ballast to make it work without his original lamp.

But...
I need to use the ballast from my old IBM ilc200(lp530 projector's clone) WITHOUT the rest of this projector. It's not clear ? Well... OK.
I want to extract the IBM's ballast and use it with a diypro.us bulb for a other application.

I think it's possible, but I don't know which opto to bypass...
Can you help me please ?
(sorry for my english)

Infocus LP600 Optocoupler question

Hello people,

I've written this message before in the LP600 powerboard thread, to no avail.
It's an aged thread. Gizmotech suggested I could try here.

I've managed to find a LP600 for a reasonable price. I've dismantled it completely since a new lamp is very costly. All is ready for a xenon light in there. Just one thing, the optocouplers on the powerboard confuse me. Normally there are about five couplers and one is turned the other way around, that is, in most cases the lamp optocoupler. This powerboard has 2 couplers that are turned compared to the others.

Does anyone have a clue as to which optocoupler i should jump, to make the beamer 'think' the lamp is on and burning happily?
I have a crappy camera, as one can see in this picture but I've added the tags and the directional dots. Can someone help me?

Picasa Web Albums - vincent

Hereby another pic. Here one can find the blue and white cables hitting the board. Don't know wether this is of the essence.

Picasa Web Albums - vincent - beamer galore

I'm having a hunch that the lamps optocoupler is U501 but I'm not sure.

A thoughtline or answer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your time.

Greetz!

Vince

Solution - Sony VPL-CX5

I believe I can confirm this solution for a Sony VPL-CX5 (so I think it should apply to other, similar models like the CS5). After much deliberation I opted for pin 3 of connector CN907 (marked "FLAG" and measuring a constant 3.3V without the lamp) - cut the wire and earthed it under the nearest board screw - and the projector appears to be running happily.

However, having looked at the options for an alternative light source, I'm not sure it's worth it.

If I had easy access to the necessary automotive HID items I MIGHT give it a try (it's a fair amount of hassle) but now I'm thinking one of the relatively "cheap" Chinese lamp units might be the way to go. If I wasn't concerned about it dying after I week I might already have bought one.
:(

Hi, I have an 3M MP8755 for which I'd love to bypass the bulb and put in my own bulb (expecially since the 3M bulb is about $220).

I am handy with a soldering iron, but haven't the first clue about what to look for, or even what the ballast looks like in my projector, or how much to dissasemble the thing.

I would really appreciate a step-by-step explanation with photos from you guys. The instructions are precise, but not exactly clear to someone who has not done it before.

If I can figure out how to do this I would be happy to post the results myself - I will need some handholding on this first unfortunately.

Please update with Photos. If anyone is feeling generous and would like to help a semi-cluless felllow with a Projector here in NY I would be eternally grateful.

I bough a NEC VT440 after reading this post but, having trouble finding the 3.3v wire.
Anyone know which wire it is.
I did find two wires 3.4v but when i grounded either, the projectors standy and bulb indicator light went out and testing the other end of the wire from the circuit board, im getting 1.1v.
Any ideas ?

Thanks

I managed to bypass the Ballast, there are switches on the filter covers, so if the filter are not in-place, it wont start. It's the connector on the right marked POLM in the second picture. It's the orange wire 3.44v in standy and 0.34v running with the lamp unit in-place.

Crazyfunguy - When I bypass the ballast, projector still tries to fire up the light (orange light confirms). Will the projector still work with the the ballast disconnected ?

Thank-you

acer DLP 7763PA

:wave2:
Acer7763PA.jpg

Hello all please help me on this one travelmate projector

to bypass the ballast i have no old lamp purchased it at 50 dollars in jordan

my phone cam is bad but if you like foggy pictures i can Upload some