DHT OTL Linestage - Tram 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Chris - thanks for your insight - I will seriously consider building this, need to justify the cost!

Julianr, Either way try to get a demo established. The Tram2 is worth every penny, although this is ONLY my opinion - your tastes may be different. Let us know if we can support you in any way. If you have not worked with (assembled) the DIY HiFi Supply products, you are in for a plesent surprise.

xerocomm thanks for your kind offers, I think I should try and hear before buying and should manage to arrange something over here as clive is not far away.

clivetjm - sorry I did not make the connection with the review. I would like to try and hear the tram, I will check my work schedule but I think I am free most of the bank holiday weekend - that is if she who must be obeyed has not arranged anything. What would be good for you.

xerocomm thanks for your kind offers, I think I should try and hear before buying and should manage to arrange something over here as clive is not far away.

clivetjm - sorry I did not make the connection with the review. I would like to try and hear the tram, I will check my work schedule but I think I am free most of the bank holiday weekend - that is if she who must be obeyed has not arranged anything. What would be good for you.

No problem, makes sense - just wanted to open the door. Let me know if you need anything or if you would like a quote on the Tram2.

Enjoythemusic has just posted the world's first review of the Tram2.

This was a very well conducted review. The reviewer understood exactly the point of a DHT linestage its care and feeding. Please note the 'Fettling Guide'
Have a read here

We've finally sourced a compact remote control which we will program and make available as an option.

Some notes about tubes: NOS sound rich but difficult to get a pair quiet enough for linestage use. With the Herbie guitar dampers, Tj and other modern production 2A3/45 can be used. Note re EML that tube pins 2/3 are oversized compared to NOS spec and will damage teflon tube socket pins grippers. We have both EML 2a3 and 45 here and that is our experience.

Brian,

What is the retail cost on the remote? When can we order it?

Hi, The repetitive sizzling mentioned in the EnjoyTheMusic review could be some instability in the PS/CCS, will this be investigated? Tnx, Jim

It's not. Everything is regulated and clean. It seems to be related to the tubes, especially older tubes. It also seems to diminish as the tube is used, maybe dissipating traces of gas on older tubes or stabilizing cathode emissions. We think these are sounds that were always there but masked in amplifier applications.

regards
Brian

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
It's not. Everything is regulated and clean. It seems to be related to the tubes, especially older tubes. It also seems to diminish as the tube is used, maybe dissipating traces of gas on older tubes or stabilizing cathode emissions. We think these are sounds that were always there but masked in amplifier applications.

regards
Brian

When I moved to my new home in a different town 3 years ago my VTL TinyTriodes Signature Ed. which had been quiet and stable for all of their 8 years began blowing tubes at startup with associated popping and sizzling before a valve would go nova. I put it down just to old tubes and time to get things retubed and rebiased so back to VTL they went. Turned out it wasn't that simple and they have to be on a good filtering powerstrip (Furman in this case) in this house. The whole system is on that power filter at the moment. Could the quality of power coming in affect the Tram 2 despite its internal regulation?

BTW, This is my first post. I joined this forum after reading the EnjoyTheMusic review and would be very interested in having a demo in my home in Massachusetts. The Tram 2 would replace a Parasound SS preamp to the VTLs to Klipschorns in my 22 x 13 x 8 living room.

peace,
Mark H

When I moved to my new home in a different town 3 years ago my VTL TinyTriodes Signature Ed. which had been quiet and stable for all of their 8 years began blowing tubes at startup with associated popping and sizzling before a valve would go nova. I put it down just to old tubes and time to get things retubed and rebiased so back to VTL they went. Turned out it wasn't that simple and they have to be on a good filtering powerstrip (Furman in this case) in this house. The whole system is on that power filter at the moment. Could the quality of power coming in affect the Tram 2 despite its internal regulation?

BTW, This is my first post. I joined this forum after reading the EnjoyTheMusic review and would be very interested in having a demo in my home in Massachusetts. The Tram 2 would replace a Parasound SS preamp to the VTLs to Klipschorns in my 22 x 13 x 8 living room.

peace,
Mark H

Welcome!

There are many variables so anything is possible. However in this case it seems the effect follows certain tubes.

Not sure about the home demo. You can email me.

regards
Brian

Blue Note Award for the Tram2 - Wow!

This is a great way to kick off the new business year -- Enjoythemusic.com Blue Note award for the Tram2. Credit to Enjoythemusic.com staff for putting aside the unsaid selling price hierarchy and awarding the Blue Note on performance alone.
That's integrity.

Attachments

• best_of_2010.jpg
    best_of_2010.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 982

regards
Brian
I'd like to back up what Brian has said about the sizzling sounds. Since the review I've continued to swap my tubes around. The 1930's / 1940's 45s I have are very used....the previously unusable pair after a few hours of being powered up have become usable. With both pairs of ancient 45s I've found the sizzling has greatly subsided and all but gone after leaving them powered up all day. Sometimes on power up it comes back but it soon goes. I have no doubt this is some form of internal issue in these very old and very used tubes.

My comment above about leaving the tubes on all day was about leaving them on all day but just for one day! Not everyday. Sorry for being misleading.

I've since (at last) worked out that even though the NOS tubes pins looked clean, they weren't. Most, if not all the noise was due to this and these tubes depositing some crud into the sockets.

Which is better? 45 or 2A3? I have some fabulous truly NOS 2A3 that are sounding great. Hard to say which tubes intrinsically are better, probably whichever tube is in better condition and the least microphonic.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.