UTS - Universal Tube Stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Universal Tube Stage

I want to draw attention to the centre-piece of the EZ Linestage: the UTS (Universal Tube Stage) module.

It was designed as an EZ add-on output stage for a CD/DVD, allowing the removal of the most serious limitation in modern players: the opamps. The trick is to accomplish this without using a cathode follower or buffer, which has its own liabilities. The UTS output is taken from the anode; much of its good sound is attributable to allowing the anode to play its natural role

Coincidentally, the 0.5v > 2V gain needed by a CD player outputs suggests its application in a modern linestage - ergo the EZ linestage.

However if we series a pair of UTS and set the jumpers to highest gain we now have a state-of-the-art quiet phono stage, just needing a simple RIAA network in between.

So: UTS module >>CD/DVD tube output stage>>EZ linestage>>EZ phono stage.

But that's not all! One power transformer can power two UTS modules so if we wanted a balanced output stage - just use two and configure as shown in the instruction manual.

The Universal Tube Stage does it all.

Family picture attached.

Also we will momentarily have our Ultimate Volume Control working together with the EZ Linesstage. This will be the ultimate in transparency and utility.
UTSfamily1.jpg

UTS questions

Hello musiclovers,

Some time ago I bought a Universal Tube Output module from DIYhifi supply. I intend to hook it up directly to DAC chip my 'lampucera' cs4397 dac. If I am not mistaken the CS 4397 chip falls under case 3.14, page 28 of the UTS installation manual pdf. This means: no jumpers, use analogue ground and L- and R+ from the CS chip for signal.

question 1: why not use R- and L- from the CS4397?

question 2: when I preform a diode test on the UTS green output connectors, R and L ground seem to be connected to R and L out respectively. In other words, the ground and signal out connections seems shorted on the UTS module. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Some time ago I bought a Universal Tube Output module from DIYhifi supply. I intend to hook it up directly to DAC chip my 'lampucera' cs4397 dac. If I am not mistaken the CS 4397 chip falls under case 3.14, page 28 of the UTS installation manual pdf. This means: no jumpers, use analogue ground and L- and R+ from the CS chip for signal.

question 1: why not use R- and L- from the CS4397?

That was a misprint in the manual, sorry. It should be R- & L-.

question 2: when I preform a diode test on the UTS green output connectors, R and L ground seem to be connected to R and L out respectively. In other words, the ground and signal out connections seems shorted on the UTS module. Is this normal?

Yes, this is normal. The UTS Module has a relay based muting and switch-on delay circuit. Hence the outputs are shorted when the Module is not powered (and for around 30 Seconds after switchon).

Ciao T

Version 1.2? No jumper settings??

I got the Universal Tube Output stage today. The board doesn't have any jumper, I have no idea how to set between current out/voltage out DAC output. (My CD player is philips 963sa, has AD1955 DAC) Also, there is no v reference input as the installation manual shown.
It seems like I got the newer version, as it has"v1.2" marked on the board. Anyway, I cannot do anything now. Any document for the latest board?

Please help!

Thanks!
William

Last edited:
Hi,

I have recently bought a UTS and is installed in my DAC running dual WM8741. The chips also falls under case 3.14 on page 28 of the manual. I confirm that it should be L- and R+ should be used.

However, after I use it for around 2 minutes, the sound goes away and I have to turn the volume to 3 O'clock to hear some weak sound. I use 2.2uf Jensen Copper Foil capacitor as the coupling cap. What could be the cause of the weak sound after 2 minutes' operation? Is it because of the Jensen cap?

Regards,
Peter

Hi,

I use the UTS for my DAC. The UTS's output is connected to my preamp and it functions properly. Recently, I place a input transformer 600:20K for each channel between the UTS and the preamp. However, once the UTS output is connected to the pair of input transformer, the sound of one channel is much weaker than the other. If I remove the input transformer and restore the original connection, i.e. UTS to preamp direct, the sound of both channel becomes equal again.

Any idea of the cause?

Regards,
Peter

The manual to set gain appears applicable when the UTS is used as a line amplifier. It is not in my case.

I also understand that the jumpers could be used to adjust gain. I simply do not which jumpers should do.

Attached please find the UTS manual.

Attachments

• EZ_Line-Stage.pdf
    770.8 KB · Views: 220
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.