digital domain volume control for DCX2496

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I posted a message on the Squeezebox forums regarding using an all-digital signal chain culminating with a DCX2496 running into a bunch of amplifiers. This bypasses many of the issues encountered in a conventional system, but presents with the reduced-resolution issue of digital-domain volume control. For those of you who have tried this or something similiar (Wadia, California Audio Labs, Meridian, etc.), can you offer your thoughts?

The full post is at the link below, but feel free to respond here...

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=184747

Much appreciated,

-tal

Hi,
have a look at the other long threads on dcx2496.
The disadvantage of digital volume control before and in DCX are argued.

I think the consensus is analogue volume control after the DCX.
Even digital control of an analogue attenuation system seems to be achievable.

I do not agree that DCX is quiet, even with -20db after DCX the noise is worse than my all analogue system and it is not particularly quiet.
Similarly I have not been able to get a sound quality that matches my commercial passive crossovers, never mind trying to exceed that standard. Others seem to have done better. I must try again/harder.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
BTW, finally Ward and I got most of the parts and PCB's for the DCX2496 Active Level Control kit together. Ward will be able to start shipping kits as of 15 September or so.

I have put up the info on how to order the kit on my web site.

Thanks again for your interest and prodding me on.

Happy Building, and, the most important part, Happy Listening!

Jan Didden

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.