CD Makeover!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In the early 1980's I reworked a Magnavox CD-452 updating the analogue section along with an improved power supply. Unfortunately the unit is no longer reliable having developed transport as well as electronic problems.

What to do?? I have a Sony CDP-550 which has had very little use . I have a schematic for it and am capable of reworking it if is considered a worthwhile venture. I ask for any advice you might offer on the following points.

1. The DAC is a CXD1161P preceded by a CXD1162P DF. Will replacing these make a great deal of difference ?? This may be a Sony part and I have no specs . Are there caveats in doing this??

2. TheI/V section involves two IC's which have the appearance of inline resistor arrays . These could easily be replaced with OP-AMPS or perhaps discrete circuitry . I am partial to the AD825.

3.The power supply is minimally regulated and should be improved .

There is plenty of room inside the unit for add-on boards .

Will all of this bring me to good sound or is this a pipe dream???

Money is an issue of course - Otherwise I'd go for a MERIDIAN.

CD Makeover!!

No takers on this thread ??!! Well I found specs on the I/V chips which are M5218L devices made by Mitsubhishi and are described in their literature as similar to a 741. Wow! Talk about sound quality !!

Another question I have is about S/PDIF .The CDP-550 has no output for digiital info. Is it possible to pick this up in the circuit and provide a jack?? I have little experience with digital matters and can use your HELP!!! Where would I look in the circuit??

Found a source on EBAY for AD825 op-amps soldered onto ARIES converters -two chips on one 8 pin dip converter. 20usd for one.

:confused:

Re: CD Makeover!!

sandstorm33 said:

Another question I have is about S/PDIF .The CDP-550 has no output for digiital info. Is it possible to pick this up in the circuit and provide a jack?? I have little experience with digital matters and can use your HELP!!! Where would I look in the circuit??

We will need some part numbers. Look for something that starts with CX.

There are four devices labeled with the CX designation.

1. CXA1182S-FOCUS,TRACK,SPINDEL SERVO
2.CXA1981S-RF AMP
3CXD1162P-Filter
CXD1161P-DAC

There is a designation on what appears to be terminal strip "Digital Out" but nothing is shown there as connected. It also shows a square wave 5v amplitude a 22.5usec.

There are other devices shown but none with the CX logo.

Thanks for your help!!:) :) :)

sandstorm33 said:

There is a designation on what appears to be terminal strip "Digital Out" but nothing is shown there as connected. It also shows a square wave 5v amplitude a 22.5usec.

That header appears to be your bet for digital out. A 22.7uS period square wave would be the sample clock and presumably data and serial clock are there too. It may be possible to add a SPDIF transmitter as shown here.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.