Help with Audio Sector NOS DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hey All,

I just finished up the Audio Sector NOS DAC and it's not working. It didn't blow up and nothing got hot. That's good, but all I'm getting out of it is 120hz hum.

Any ideas what to check out first?

I'm using the green board with transformer off the board.

Thanks

Vince

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hi Peter,

I got these voltages:

Facing reg flat side-
U1- 2.74-0-2.79
U2- 2.76-0-2.79
U3- 2.79-0-2.79

Voltage after rectifier coils
L1- 4.41v
L2- 4.54v

I suppose these are all low? These should be around 8-9v after the regs.

The transformer secondaries 9v in parallel. But I have a feeling I don't have the transformer wired right.

Is there orientation on J1 and J2?

Attachments

• dac1fix.jpg
    dac1fix.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 283
vdi_nenna said:
I got these voltages:

Facing reg flat side-
U1- 2.74-0-2.79
U2- 2.76-0-2.79
U3- 2.79-0-2.79

Voltage after rectifier coils
L1- 4.41v
L2- 4.54v

I suppose these are all low? These should be around 8-9v after the regs.

The transformer secondaries 9v in parallel. But I have a feeling I don't have the transformer wired right.

Is there orientation on J1 and J2?

The voltage after regulators should be 5V and 8V on DAC.

Both secondaries need to be used here, so they cannot be connected in parallel. One secondary powers input buffer and receiver and connects to J2, the other powers DAC chip and connects to J1. The voltage after rectifiers is approx 12V, after ressitors approx 11V. You have 2.5V which is way too low.

There is no orientation on J1 and J2.

It looks like you got right the PS in the receiver section, however the supply voltage on TDA1543 (U7) is too low. You need to get 8V on pin 5. The unregulated supply here is made the same way as for the receiver, so you should be able to find what went wrong comparing voltages in both sections.

Just make sure the secondary from transformer (connected to J1) is separate from secondary connected to J1 and has similar AC voltage rating (9V or so).

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I just ordered 2 an8008s.

The problem I'm having is the transformer secondaries have 4 leads: 9-0-9-0. For series they say join brown and red wires. This will give 18v-0-18v. In parallel I get 9v, but then there will only be 9v-0 leads. Can this connect to th power supply J1 & 2?

Did I order the wrong voltage transformer? Should I have used a smaller one?

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Ok, I got 5v+ on all regulators and 12.95v to 13v after both coils. Just under 13v right before regulators on lead on right if facing flat side of regulator.

You said it should still function with 5v on DAC? Data sheet says 5v too.

Maybe I fried the CS8412?

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I actually own a 10 mhz scope. I don't know how to use it very well. I've been wanting to learn. Maybe you have some tips?

I'd be willing to ship it to you if you'd look at it. You might find a broke part I don't have on hand...like all major ICs.

We can talk about arrangments off-line.

Thanks,

Vince

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.