Clicks & pops with TDA1543 x8 DAC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have a DAC that has 8x TDA1543, the receiver is a CS8414. Audible clicks & pop noise have recently developed. If I play a test tone, the noises occur at intervals such as once every 2 seconds.

Does anyone have advice on where to begin troubleshooting this? I am running it off of a 12V battery

edit: i am pretty sure the noise is in both channels.

It's common for folks to run these DACs at higher than 5 volts. I run mine at 8 Volts, and it works fine.

50 to 60 Celsius sounds too hot though. Are there any heatsinks? Mine don't run nearly that hot.

They do have a reputation for distortion when they overheat. I haven't experienced it myself, but read it in a thread somewhere.

are you measuring with a temperature probe? i'm getting 50-53C, so 60C in the case is a close estimate.

i also tried changing one of the values of the shunt regulator resistors so the chips would run on 6V. when i did this and played a 1khz tone, it sounded higher frequency, some kind of distortion. can i not simply just lower the voltage?

fluckscapacitor said:
are you talking about VR1 in that schematic? it's near the bottom right of the page

Yes, VR1 1kohms.

I have the same Dac (only 4 chips), and it was generating some pop corn noise, not periodic. I turned the screw of the ref trimmer, and, no more noise. I think that the track of the trimmer is not very good. It could be better to replace this pot with an equivalent discrete resitance.
Try to just turn a little the trimmer, and ear at the same time.

Philippe

fluckscapacitor said:
I found the schematic, so I've attached it here

Other than the less than ideal way the 'ACT161's are connected, there is nothing wrong with the digital side of this dac. Clicks and pops are always going to be a possibilty, it is inherent in the design. There is the clock domain derived from the SPDIF datastream and the one created by the use of a local oscillator and when the difference between the two domains is great enough, there will be clicks and pops.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.