How to evaluate the laser pick-up remaining life

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I was really interested in how to evaluate the second hand laser pick-up remaining life.
I bought a second hand CDP and I'm doubting whether do I need new and expensive :rolleyes: spare part. The current transport/pick-up is KSS-151A by Sony in CDP338ESD.
The CDP was frowning on few CD-R s and scratched CDs but I turned just a little the lasser current trimmer and the problem was likely gone...
I wonder, for how long it will last before to end up and how to estimate its remaining resource...

Adjusting Laser current any will definitely shorten the life of the assembly. The laser is factory set for that assembly adjusting the current will result in excessive heat and shorten the life exspectancy. The operational current is usually posted somewhere on the laser assembly. A (light power meter) is required to measure the lasers output power, any measurement below the tech manuals parameters is replacement time no adjustment.Probably the best person to help you out is Anatech.

sorry to but in, .but it seems that we have the same problem, on most burned CD, my cd player has difficulty reading middle to last tracks, I am getting some tik tik tik noise. On original cd, i dont have problems..

the burned CD used to play well,the problem started on the last tracks and slowly crept into the middle tracks..is it mechanical or or electrical problem?

I own a CDP with CDM2, the cd clamp of it is "pitted in" because of long use (19 years & still works)
Later bought another CDM2 based CDP, this one had only a very small pit wear in the clamp, so it is not extensively used. On this way i could find out if the cdm should have some time span of laser-hours left.

The laser current has to be checked, and i set it allways on the lowest voltage mentioned in the service manual. XXX mV +/- 50 mV accros a specific resistor, then it is adjusted slight above XXX.
No problems with reading CDR's.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.