Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Akai Cd 93
Akai Cd 93
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2021, 04:50 PM   #171
electricboyo is offline electricboyo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The thing that surprises me most about this is after 17 pages of discussion and over 10,000 views on here, no one else has encountered or solved this problem.
I'm thinking our discussion of this project is more popular than the Akai CD-73 itself!

I browsed through my archive (hoard) of old CD players. I don't have a single Akai item.
What do I have? Philips, Magnavox, Marantz, Sony, Carver, Onkyo, Denon, Mission, Proton, Harman-Kardon, Toshiba, TEAC, BSR...

I don't recall any Akai dealers in my area (central Illinois).

-EB
Old 16th May 2021, 05:12 PM   #172
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb1712 View Post
My first CD player was a Phillips CD204. It too developed an annoying and intermittent fault out of warranty. I spent ages trying to find the problem and discovered that gently pressing on the main board would make it burst into life. I eventually found a tiny split in a PCB track but only by scraping away the green solder resist and inspecting it under a magnifier. A small wire link fixed it and it worked fine for years after. I eventually gave it away after I acquired the Akai CD73.
Bad solder joints are a frequent issue in old Philips CD players. Philips was ahead of the technology curve then, using mostly SMD (surface mount) resistors and 2-sided PC boards. Unfortunately the holes weren't plated through. Other companies had problems with that too. Tascam (TEAC's pro side) sold tons of recording studio reel-reel machines (models 32, 34, 38 & others) where every single "through the PC board" connection had to be carefully resoldered on both sides. Some of these PC boards were rather large & inaccessible. Back in the day I spent many hours resoldering them for my clients. That worked. To the best of my knowledge none went "intermittent" again.

Quote:
I was scanning through your thread on the Onkyo player you've been working on and noticed the comments about the KSS-151A laser. I think this is the one in my CD73?
Yes, it is the KSS-151A. Check page 12 of the Akai service manual. This alone makes this machine a "keeper." But if you ever decide to part it out, the KSS-151A is one of the most sought-after vintage optical CD pickups. I recently saw people asking $500 USD for used KSS-151A on ebay. It is also said that the KSS-151A rarely fails.

-EB
Old 16th May 2021, 06:05 PM   #173
andyb1712 is offline andyb1712  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I had and still have quite a lot of Akai equipment and generally it was quite reliable. I have two integrated amps, AMU61 and AM55, both of which are powerful and still work well but have now been replaced with more modern multi channel receivers.

In the cupboard unused are a couple of GX32 cassette decks and a couple of matching tuners to the amps, all of which still worked when last powered up. Behind them are two VSA77 vcrs and a very rare VS12 vcr from 1985.

The CD73 is the only one I've had any serious problem with. The vcrs had the usual drive belt, mode switch and clutch failure problems after a lot of use (not unusual for any brand) and some of the PSU caps were prone to leaking electrolyte after a few years.

My day jobs have mainly been in military, marine and aerospace electronics with audio/video as my hobby, so I haven't worked on that many CD players. I've never seen a mech like this one though or a peculiar fault like it, even on other Akai units.

As for the KSS-151A, it should be in good condition because the player has mostly been in a faulty state since 2008 and hasn't had a great deal of use since then. Due to this ongoing problem, I swapped it for my other Akai (CD55) some time ago for use on my main system and when that recently developed a problem reading discs I started looking at the CD73 again.
Old 16th May 2021, 06:21 PM   #174
diyAudio Member

With that excellent DSO you should get some images of the eye pattern from the RF test point.

I hooked my works DSO up to the relevant test point before I reluctantly take it back tomorrow.

I 'persuaded' the CD73 to play a disc by cycling the power until it loaded. Screen capture attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tek00012.jpg (96.3 KB, 41 views)
Old 18th May 2021, 12:30 PM   #175
diyAudio Member

Somebody else is out there working on a CD73 with the same fault... they just haven't joined the discussion yet!

Akai CD-73 Vintage CD Player with Wood Cheek! visually Top! as defect to hobbyists! | eBay

There's also another up for auction in the UK that's faulty:

Akai CD-73 Vintage CD Player HiFi Separate foulty | eBay

I sent a message to find out if the tray operates correctly and the reply was it is loose, which would indicate one or both belts are broken or missing... or they have been taken off to get the disc loaded.

Not sure if I want another faulty one...
Old 18th May 2021, 02:51 PM   #176
diyAudio Member

I’ve often succeeded at fixing challenging issues when I had multiple units of the same model.
However this works best when each unit has a different fault.

I’m not sure I would enjoy having a row of Akai CD-73 units with oscillating trays on my workbench!

When I look for inexpensive “for parts or repair only” items on ebay my favorite symptom to see in the listing is “totally dead - no power.” My Sony DVP-NS999V was advertised that way. When I received it and popped off the cover, the obvious bulging/vented electrolytic capacitor in the power supply made initial diagnosis quite simple.

-EB
Old 18th May 2021, 02:53 PM   #177
jean-paul is offline jean-paul  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Yes, "totally dead - no power" really is the best one can find. Intermittent errors can cause severe stress.
Old 18th May 2021, 03:07 PM   #178
diyAudio Member

It's a shame I can't be sure whether the eBay one has a working tray mech or not before deciding whether to bid on it. Given the high value of the laser and looking at the few that have sold recently, I think it's unlikely to end at a bargain price.

Faults in a defined state are far easier to deal with than the one like mine, which only happens for a few seconds at a time and is inconsistent.
  Reply to this post

Akai Cd 93Hide this!Advertise here!