Clocking the CDM-Pro2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
apolon34 said:
Hi,

The tweak is very simple, I just tied the SELPLL input pin of the SAA to ground. Originally, it has a pull-up resistor to VCC so you can leave it in place without problems and without the need to cut traces.

I guess you solder the external clock where the original oscillator is mounted.

How did you remove the original crystal oscillator from the CD-PRO2 PCB? The picture shows how it is done for a CDM12 IND.

Could you mail a picture of the mod on CD-PRO2?

Attachments

• philips cmd12ind_oscillator.jpg
    philips cmd12ind_oscillator.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 678
I removed the original xtal completely.
For that you need to unsolder the 4 pads of the original crystal.

An improvement is that you don't need to remove the two caps near the crystal cause the 4 pads package makes a bridge between the caps and the SAA.

for the ground, I juste scratched a bit the pcb to see the copper and then soldered the ground on it.

I will use an external Madrigal clock and swap CMD12 IND (SAA7345) with CD-PRO2M (SAA7324). However, the supply voltage of SAA7345 is 5.0 V and the supply voltage of SAA7324 is 3.3 V. Since the chip on CD-PRO2M runs on 3.3V do I need to mount a resitor in parallel between the wires? If so what should the resistanse be??

Peter Daniel said:
That info is posted here: http://www.diy-high-end.com/cd/page26.html
[BTW, why are you changing CDM12IND to CD-Pro?

Well, good question. I am actually quite satisfied with CDM12 IND but CD-PRO2M is supposed to to be better in several aspects and given the relatively low price it could be fun to upgrade:

1. the decoding chip SAA7324 shows better performances, especially with its improved error correction system and reads CD-RW.

2. the new firmware of the CD-Pro2M module has been improved as regard to playback of copyprotected discs (even thou my CDM12 plays CopyProtected discs without problems)

3. improved playability with out-of-specification discs (had a problem with Ziggy Stardust enhanced CD i.e not Red Book standard disc)

Peter Daniel said:
I might be interested in your CDM12 IND if you managed to do the change.

CDM12 in my ML31.5 plays everything, CD Pro1 in ML37 is more picky, but it's hard to say why is it, maybe the laser is not so good anymore.

I thought that both ML31.5 and ML37 used CDM12IND and not CD-PRO1. Anyway, if you need a new laser pickup you might get it from:

http://www.reptips.dk/reservedele/cd-laser/cdpro/cdprolaser.htm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.