From TDA1540 to TDA1541

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SAA7000 ---> TDA1541A
DLCF 13 ---> DATA_L 3
DRCF 15 ---> DATA_R 4
CLCF 14 ---> BCK 2
STR1 12 ---> LE 1

Pin 27, OB/TWC, must be connected to -5v placing the TDA1541A in simultaneous L and R data mode.

But in my player I have -5, +5 and -17volt.
I saw -17 volt is maximum for the VDD2 pin on the TDA1541.
Will it harm the tda1541? Or should I put a resistor in series to reduce voltage?

Done!!
I made a wonderful piece of art inside the cd-150 (pic will follow shortly). But it works like a charm. The difference is quit CLEAR (highs are finally there) imaging is very nice.
Will listen to it more in depth tomorrow.

Regards and thanks for the support,
Ramon

PS I used decoupling smd caps from an old cd-471

Have been listening to some heavy duty classical music (Mahler 5, Dvorak celloconcert, Beethoven Eroica).
Oh my god!!! This cd-150 kicks ***.
(And I know (my reference) good, due to my marantz cd-7)

Mods so far:
-removed saa7030 --> non-os
-put in ad826 opamps
-replace powercaps with elna silmic and bypass with ero 0,01µF
-removed the tda1540's
-put in TDA1541A
-replaced decoupling caps in output stage by 0,22µF Paper/Oil.
(low value due to high input impedance on amplifier side --> lucky me!!)

All this stuff came from defective Philps players --> so just recycling.

Waiting for Kwak Clock 7 parts from farnell.
And want to replace stock rca's and upgrade internal cabling and reinforce casing.
Also add shielding to ic's with copper plating.

Man, I love this old school diy.

PS Pic of tda1541 contraption will follow shortly.

Only wish I would understand the basics of designing your own I/V output stage.

PS2 I am feeding the VDD2 on the TDA1541A with -17,5 volt (had nothing else in the player, and the voltage divider option I have yet to master). Will this kill my tda1541A?

I have been spoiled with my Marantz CD-7.
Modified this one quite a bit.
I use it in true balanceD (XLR) with output caps replaced by 0,47µF Auricaps (my amp has a very high input impedance, so I can use low value caps :D ). Also put in a Tentclock XO2 with XO supply.
Non-oversampling is tricky due to a dsp that handles this oversampling in conjunction with some noiseshaping filters.
I do not know if this dsp is essential for proper operation --> desoldering is surely not an option, and bypassing my screw things up.

Never was a fan of bitstream dac -> found these too messy --> I switched from a CD-15 to a CD-7 and will never return to bitstream.

I've listened to a few CD-7's, they are not bad at all, I certainly wouldn't go hacking at a cdp that costs as much as that:)
You could have a go at building a NOS external dac with a nice output stage, I've built Pedja's with Asychronous reclocking and I fitted a double crown dac chip, I'm more than happy with it, it uses a nice output stage or you could try something discrete

Katapum said:
Hi t.,

Is Pedja dac better then Lesha dac? What’s your opinion?

Katapum

I have also tried Lesha's dac using passive I/V and 6c45pi output buffer

Both Pedja's and Lesha's are excellent dacs, IMO they sound more different rather than ones better than the other
Pedja's is much easier to build because he can supply a nice pcb, Lesha's was built point to point so was harder

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.