dCS modification.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lourens said:
:confused: Why on earth do you want to do this? It's one of the best sounding DAC's ever made....
Be happy with it, and spend your time listening to MUSIC:cloud9:

Why not, if you look inside, you will find two VERY CHEAP VERY POOR Philips coupling caps. Change this to a Black Gate FK or whatever, and the sound improves. Yes improves.

:smash:

Thanks. This is the kind of thing im considering.

Do you have any specific Capacitor type you would recomend?

Thinking of trying Jensen Capacitors. Anyone got experience with them?

PS: Im very happy with the sound from my DAC as it is, but experimenting is fun, and the warranty is already out so.... ;)

Kind Regards.

timcatn said:
Thanks. This is the kind of thing im considering.

Do you have any specific Capacitor type you would recomend?

Thinking of trying Jensen Capacitors. Anyone got experience with them?

PS: Im very happy with the sound from my DAC as it is, but experimenting is fun, and the warranty is already out so.... ;)

Kind Regards.

Far too BIG, use Black Gate FK; I think 47uF or so. Maybe BGNs if they fit. Try it and let us know if you like it. For those who want to try, there are lots of commercial quality regulators (LM340types) which can be improved by more bypassing or substitution.

Instead FK better will be BG N series- really great coupling caps bigger capacitance.I recommend Siemens MKV, but they are big(Jensens aren't smaller at bigger capacitance),but frome some quality level of caps answer on question, which are the best will be rather answer on the question which do you like the most? So try diffrent types.

Uchi Deshi said:
Instead FK better will be BG N series- really great coupling caps bigger capacitance.I recommend Siemens MKV, but they are big(Jensens aren't smaller at bigger capacitance),but frome some quality level of caps answer on question, which are the best will be rather answer on the question which do you like the most? So try diffrent types.

There is NO HOPE of puting a large film cap into a dCS box, unless you put it ouside!

fmak said:
Why not, if you look inside, you will find two VERY CHEAP VERY POOR Philips coupling caps. Change this to a Black Gate FK or whatever, and the sound improves. Yes improves.

You mean C903 and C218? The two bigger ones (see picture) from Philips (now Vishay) BC Components?

Attachments

• dcs psu kl.jpg
    dcs psu kl.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,013
timcatn said:

Hi Timcatn,
OK, I understand...
What transport are you using? My feeling is that there is much more to gain, and best of all: slave it to your Delius:)
But I will follow your mods inside the DAC with special interest. Honestly: I don't dare to touch it -- yet....

good luck
Lourens

Hi.

Thanks for many good advices.

I have a dCS Delius 24/192 from 2001. Thats without support for SACD and Firewire. I have looked inside and there is not a lot of room to spare. Didnt check the capacitor values that time since i opened it just to have a peek ;)

Think ill will try with 2 different types of BG capacitors to start with. It might take a few weeks to get them, but i will post back to let you know how it turns out.

Best Regards.

janneman said:

If they are not, what's all the fuss about anyway?

Jan Didden

You will need to trace the circuit to the output plugs. I don't know about the Verdi but if it is balanced there needs to be 4 caps.

The Verdi is supposed to soung 'thinner' than the 954/Elgar because of the 'somplified ' circuit and should be 'improved'

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
fmak said:

You will need to trace the circuit to the output plugs. I don't know about the Verdi but if it is balanced there needs to be 4 caps.

The Verdi is supposed to soung 'thinner' than the 954/Elgar because of the 'somplified ' circuit and should be 'improved'

famk,

I was just asking if these "bad" caps were coupling caps or not (supply caps?). The original poster apparently was just turned on by the word "Philips" on the caps without having any clue what they were.

Jan Didden

janneman said:

famk,

I was just asking if these "bad" caps were coupling caps or not (supply caps?). The original poster apparently was just turned on by the word "Philips" on the caps without having any clue what they were.

Jan Didden

Coupling caps, very poor da and much less good in terms of sound compared to BG FK which I sometimes prefer over BGNs becasue of more dynamic sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.