Dacmagic 2 upgrade options....query

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Marantz CD 63 KI with a RockClock jitter buster fitted, and a Cambridge Dacmagic 2. After fitting the RockClock the stereo image tightened up a lot - impressed!

1. Would the RockClock provide a cleaner digital signal to the DAC? The player sounds better with the DAC than without - a fuller sound, but here is still confusion in complex music, while simple stuff sounds great with or without the DAC. Could the problem be the oversampling trying to do too much work?

2. Would an upgrade to something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DAC-Philips-T...ryZ81741QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
be a worthwhile investment given the current components?

Other equipment is Arcam 8R amp and Ruark Sabre 2 speakers, which I don't think are the weak chains in the link (though I could be wrong!)

Thanks in advance.

I see you are in U.K I have a modified Dacmagic 2. The mods were the subject of an article in Hi Fi News and the kits were marketed by Audiocom. The mods were very radical and entailed replacing all the electrolytic capacitors with OS-Cons and all the 5v regulators and diodes. The kit was £200 without fitting.

I bought mine secondhand with all the work done by a qualified expert. I used this with a Cambridge Disc Magic transport with a Trichord Clock 3 fitted. It sounded very good, but technology moves on and the current crop of Non oversampling Dac's are said to sound better because they are much much simpler. You can buy a kit for £100! I am about to try one.

I am using a Cambridge 640v2 player. It's a bit bright and rough at times, but very detailed and good fun. Works well with a modified Sonic Impact (my valve pre is a good match) is it Hi Fi ? I don't really know. How do you define H Fi

Griffymark said:
I have a Marantz CD 63 KI with a RockClock jitter buster fitted, and a Cambridge Dacmagic 2. After fitting the RockClock the stereo image tightened up a lot - impressed!

1. Would the RockClock provide a cleaner digital signal to the DAC? The player sounds better with the DAC than without - a fuller sound, but here is still confusion in complex music, while simple stuff sounds great with or without the DAC. Could the problem be the oversampling trying to do too much work?

2. Would an upgrade to something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DAC-Philips-T...ryZ81741QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
be a worthwhile investment given the current components?

Other equipment is Arcam 8R amp and Ruark Sabre 2 speakers, which I don't think are the weak chains in the link (though I could be wrong!)

Thanks in advance.

There is a whole thread on upgrading the dacmagic.

From what I have read the clock needs to be in the dac, and fed back to the transport.

However, it wouldn't be an easy task.

Sorry if I did not make myself that clear - the upgrade that I was considering would be to change the Dacmagic for the ebay item as referenced.

I am not a 'sparkey' so I would not risk too much playing about with the hardware - installing the RockClock was stressful enough ;->.

It looks to me as though a lot of these Non OS Dacs are being made by enthusiasts as opposed to companies. It worries me as to the sort of support you would get if things went wrong. It could be a case of £100 is not that much to lose ? I think I will take the plunge and go for the Monica Dac 2 from DIY Paradise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.