Nakamichi OMS-5

HI
I would like to ask for help .I have these Nakamichi OMS-5 cd player , unfortunatly does not read .It will need to replace the lasser pick-up.
If somebody has experience with these player please let me know WERE I can buy new laser pick up or were I can find help to fix it .
Unfortunatly I have the part number but is imposible to read the numbers on the laser ..
Thanks for any help.
Regards

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi gaborbela,
I used to repair them under warranty, and own an OMS-7. Nice unit.

You may not need a laser P/U. It can be checked for efficiency. It would be hard to source the NEC head these days if you do need one. The alignment is a long process, but will last years again. I have never seen a more stable RF pattern than these can produce.

-Chris

HI
Thanks Anatech for your answer .
I belive it need the laser to be repleced , you know sometimes read .
For example if it find the disc play all the way ,depend on the condition of the disc , but if I want to go up or done it loose the signal and no longer play.
I'd like the sound of the player , so that why I would like to fix it .
Do you know from were I can order new laser . Unfortunatly not even posible to read the the part number so I dont know what part do I look for .
If I spend on to fix I want to instal new laser .
Thanks one more time .
Regards

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi gaborbela,
Okay, I'm going to warn you now.

The head is fully adjustable in free space in all axis'. The holder must be taken out and cleaned first. This is an expensive head and there are other problems that may be causing this.

There is a test to confirm the head has a weak laser (or not).

-Chris

Thanks for the reply
Ok , I have to tell you I just purchesed these cd player not to long time a go . I used these cd player when still played (sometimes) but now no more .
The owner of the cd player when I purchased he said it was tested , cleared , adjusted ect by a service man .
So it is sure it need new laser .
I just dont know from were I can order , I wrote to Nakamichi corporation but no answer .
My point is if I spend more money on these I want to be sure it will work for a couple years more .
So that why I want new laser and not just some cleaning or so on.
I'm not sure if would be cleaned or ajust a bit it would do something because they did it already .
I find on the web a place were they fix Nakamichi CD player I will try to contact with them .
I just afraid to order a laser from somewere and they send me a non working parts how just happend with me.
I have a Nakamichi cd4 player ,it have a laser problem to but still plays . So I orderd a new laser ,I instaled and total dead .
After I put back the old one , that is working but so so.
Thanks for your help.
Regards

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi gaborbela,
I have seen very few people who can set these up properly. I was trained at Nakamichi Canada on it. Most of these that are played with are far off where they should be.

So, I have said that there are only a few guys that are capable of setting these up. They require the manual to do this.

Guess what? I have the manual. There is a chance the head is fine. If it isn't, it will be difficult to find another and it will not be cheap (unless you luck out).

Re: the CD 4. I also have the Nak Jig. I can set it up. Did those under warranty too.

-Chris

HI
I understand your point , the cd player is 12 years old and it was used almost every day.
I know is posible some adjustment and may be plays one week or couple months .
I told if I spend money on these I want new laser to be instaed .In case if not posible or I dont find I dont want to be fix .
I just dont want spend money on and later still not working properly .
I know to fix these will cost a fortune , but it will last for a couple years .
If I dont fint parts to fix ,I will use the parts from it from it , and I use the case for a DIY preamp or gainclon.
I apresseate your help . I'm sure these need a laser , and if not posible I do not spend more money on.
After 10-12 years almost all cd player need new laser plus these was tested by a service man who is profesional .
I understand you and all my respect to you and your knolwlege about the Nak. but if you dont have posibility to instal new laser I dont vaste more money on these . I wrote to Nak service in USA for parts or service I will see what will be their answer .
Thanks anyway .
If I dont find parts I will wait until I see on the ebay another OMS-5 or 7 wich work perfect and I buy it .
May be it will be chepper that than to fix these.
Regards

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi gaborbela,
At least check the feed belt for slip. Very common. It will cause the same symptoms. Hint: if it spins like mad, the belt is slipping.

Do I know who the tech was? ;)

In testing the laser efficiency, you get an idea of the life on the head. It's a qualitative test. That is what I wanted to check.

When I bought mine used many years ago, it needed a $500 + laser head. I have serviced many where the head was fine. There is also a servo modification per Nakamichi (extensive - I did many) to allow the machine to play out of spec CD's.

You know this is a pair of 14 Bit TDA1540's don't you? It sounds too good to be true though.

-Chris

HI
I just checked the belt , it would be great to be replased because is very slopy.
I will go tomorrow to the electronics surplus store and I will look for it.
I will see if Nakamichi will answer to my letter from USA.
Did you ever compared the sound of the OMS-5 to OMS-7 ?
Wich player has better sound , the 5 , 7 , or 7 ll .
I planing if I can fix these to purchase one wich is in a good working order .
I saw many OMS- 7mk ll on the web for sale , it start aroud $400 and up .
I will let you know what happend after I replace the belt .
Thanks

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi gaborbela,
The OMS-5 and 7 are identical in sound quality. The OMS-7II has an improved D/A section, the transport is not as good but better than most other things out there today.

Before putting the new belt on, clean the motor shaft and pulley with isopropyl alcohol first.

Where is your unit serviced? I just am curious if they know this unit (every tech is an expert on every unit ;) ).

-Chris

HI
Thanks for the advise about the belt and how instal the new belt .
Today I went out to look around , I went to a couple of surplas stores and even went to some popular service were usualy fix cd players to .
Unfortunatly is not so simple , nobody has these tipe of flet belt .
Those who has it is much longer .
So now I need to find out were I can find belt , to test the player if work properly .
I have some similar belt but not as flat as the original , I will give a try let see if it worth to look for the original .
Thanks one more time for the help .
I will let you know if I have SOME sucses with it .
Regards

Need a belt for a Nak OMS-5 cd player

HI
Unfortunatly no answer for the belt .
I'm sure the cd player need a new belt . I just made some cleaning and I instaled back the old belt (wich is way to long) and I could play a couple track. Even I could skip to the next track , before it was inposible .
So if somebody know from were I can order a new belt for the Nak OMS-5 cd player please let me know .
I tried on the web , I looked at some surplas stores but these small size flat belt nobady has.
Just much longer for tape deck.
Regards

HI
I did the treatment with the hot water and after the freezer .
It got better , now I can play , I can fast foward or skip to the next track .
Not 100% but at lease work. It still take long time sometimes to find the next track or when it start up .
I think the motor is veek a bit , I bought some fine oil for the mooving parts , lets see .
Thanks for thelp for all of you .
Regards

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi gaborbela,
Do you like your CD player?

Do not oil the motor! Any oil that flows down the shaft (and it will) will destroy that belt.

So, I'll repeat my earlier advice. Find some heatshrink tubing that fits closely over the motor shaft. With the player on it's side, gently warm the heatshrink with a heat gun well back. This increases the OD of the shaft and provides a grip for the belt. That's how mine is running right now.

Take the advice of a Nakamichi tech trained on your machine.

-Chris