Any mods/tweaks for a Panasonic DVD S-49

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I share the same thoughts on switched supplies but they really get better and better over the years. It is too much trouble to replace them for linear supplies IMO.

It won't hurt to change the cheap unknown electrolytic caps to branded low ESR types in these supplies. You will notice a difference if unknown b quality caps are used now ( I don't know that of this machine ).

My advice is to obtain a service manual/schematic first. They cost 15 $ for 4 types. I can give you the email adress of a guy that sells them.

I also have a S 49 and had a look inside. The electrolytic capacitors used are not noname, but Nichicon, so.. I don't know if replacing them would help - I didn't look specifically on the source thouch, the situation might be different there.

The capacitor in the output stage are also Nichicon (golden color) - do you think that replacing them with higher quality (I see that Oscon are preferred) would improve anything ? DAC is BurrBrown PCM 1680 (which is like a 1780 but with eight channels)

Generally I like the player (on CD), but what I miss sometimes is more powrful bass.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.