Alternatives to CS8414

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Funny that I was just going to ak a similar question.

Looks like you can use Phillips UDA1355 . It can be got from RS Components for easiness, probably not the cheapest.

It is a full codec with DAC's and ADC's but can be hardwired for SPDIF input and I2S output. It also has a MCK out for Synchronous Reclocking.

Anyone know anything about these

DIR1703

TI told me that the DIR1703 is still available. They pulled the specs for it because they claim there is a problem, requiring it to be reset if the input data changes sampling rate mid-stream. Myself, I have used htis chip and change sample rates mid-stream all the time and have never encountered this problem

I believe Digi-Key may still have stock. Otherwise it will only be available on an OEM basis.

I found the DIR1703 quite a bit easier to implement than the Cirrus devices.

Dan

hope someone still reads this tread.
I'm about to build my first DAC and i'm going for the paraleled 1543. I'll try it in x3 x5 and x8 form and see what the sonic gains are.
For the receiver i allready have some Dir9001 , some cs8416 and some STA120.
What i would like to know is:
since the STA120 apperently have the same pinout of the good old CS8414 are they pin-to-pin compatible? Can i use the same board design without modifications?
Since the STA120 is available from the ST site as free samples why aren't more STA120 based dacs out there? Is it sonicaly inferior to the 8414?
Hope someone can help me out

I don't know. I suspect that if the pinout matches, it'll work. Supply voltage may be different: the ST is a 3.3V part. I'll see if the magical Sample Fairy will bring me one.

And for what it's worth, AD used to make some nifty chips that combined a DIR with an ASRC, the AD1892. At the time those were supposed to be great for reducing jitter.

Last edited:
I don't know. I suspect that if the pinout matches, it'll work. Supply voltage may be different: the ST is a 3.3V part. I'll see if the magical Sample Fairy will bring me one.

And for what it's worth, AD used to make some nifty chips that combined a DIR with an ASRC, the AD1892. At the time those were supposed to be great for reducing jitter.

Well, i've had my samples approved by ST (they don't approve so much now a day's), and hope you'll get yours also.
I've checked the datasheet's and for all i've found STA1240 and CS8414 are pin to pin compatible. Don't know if the STA will recognize formats diferent from I2S but for what i want it to do i think it's axacly the same. The only difference that stops it from beying a direct replacement is the 3.3V for the STA and the 5V for the CS.
But since i've designed the pc board from scratch there's no problem with that. I'll just replace the LM7805 by a LM7833 since i've made it with 4 different regulators for the different parts of the DAC.
If you can get your hands on a STA and make something out of it let me know. You can reach me on asounds[at]aeiou.pt if you like to

How about the Wolfson products? www.wolfsonmicro.com

I am interested to hear if anyone has anything good or bad to say about them. Specifically the 8804. It is $3 in small quantities and is specified to 50ps jitter, as opposed to 200ps with the current 8816. The CS8816 also costs around $10.

I have already begun work on a 6x 1543 board (can be used with any number between 1 and 6 DACs) with the WM8804 rcvr. The goal was a simple R2R DAC to do some testing with IV stages vs. R I/V only. No fancy micros, or other stuff. I can post some details if there is interest.

Dave

How about the Wolfson products? www.wolfsonmicro.com

I am interested to hear if anyone has anything good or bad to say about them. Specifically the 8804. It is $3 in small quantities and is specified to 50ps jitter, as opposed to 200ps with the current 8816. The CS8816 also costs around $10.

I have already begun work on a 6x 1543 board (can be used with any number between 1 and 6 DACs) with the WM8804 rcvr. The goal was a simple R2R DAC to do some testing with IV stages vs. R I/V only. No fancy micros, or other stuff. I can post some details if there is interest.

Dave

Please do post.
I don't have much information about the Wolfson. They don't send free samples as far as i know and are no available in Portugal also, so i'll end up paying more for the postage than for the IC itself.
After the 2 dac's i have on the bench are complete i'll probably start thinking about it but for now i have to finish these first. Anyway, for what i've reserched about it the Wolfsons the're very good receivers, and in the opinnion of some people are one of the best available.
Let's see.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Ten years have passed :) WM8804/5 are way better. DIR9001 also isn't bad. AKM SPDIF receivers are OK as well but they're in difficult to solder packages.

In fact a lot of the more recent types are way better than the old Crystal receivers. It depends if you want just 1 or more than 1 input which type to choose. If you just want 1 input you almost can't go wrong with WM8804. Make sure to set it right and to give it clean and well decoupled power.

More recent SPDIF receivers run on 3.3V which is not a problem when replacing the +5V regulator for a +3.3V one. Of course it should have its own regulator and not a shared one.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.