Differential I/V stage? And RX input

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking to build a DAC based around a SINGLE PCM179*, and I'm having trouble finding a decent I/V stage, as the the output is differential. I don't need or want balanced outputs, so the one of the datasheet isn't much use.

The only schematic I've seen is a 3rd order Bessel filter done by Aos

http://www.aoselectronics.com/gfx/ally/ppa_db_v1.1.gif

However, it looks a little too complicated for my taste, and I'd prefer a simpler discrete output stage so I can tweak the sound a little more than by rolling opamps...

Any suggestions MOST welcome :)

Also, regards input to a CS8416, I've been reading around on the forums about both transformer inputs, and differential inputs using logic buffers. What is the general consensus of opinion on that these days?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
guzzler said:
I'm looking to build a DAC based around a SINGLE PCM179*, and I'm having trouble finding a decent I/V stage, as the the output is differential. I don't need or want balanced outputs, so the one of the datasheet isn't much use.

The only schematic I've seen is a 3rd order Bessel filter done by Aos

http://www.aoselectronics.com/gfx/ally/ppa_db_v1.1.gif

However, it looks a little too complicated for my taste, and I'd prefer a simpler discrete output stage so I can tweak the sound a little more than by rolling opamps...

Any suggestions MOST welcome :)

Also, regards input to a CS8416, I've been reading around on the forums about both transformer inputs, and differential inputs using logic buffers. What is the general consensus of opinion on that these days?

Hi Guzzler,

Note that the 1793 has internal opamps and provides voltage outputs. There is no I to convert to a V. This is clearly shown in the data sheet.

If you want to convert the balanced output signal to single-ended, one option (passive) is a 1:1 transformer, with the primary across the outputs and the secondary grounded at one terminal and the other to the RCA center pin.

Jan Didden

I’ve had a look a the RAKK DAC schematic, looks interesting. However, I’ve never been a huge fan of transformers in non-digital signal positions (personal preference, sound technical reasons, don’t want to go into the argument about which sounds better etc).

Ideally, what I’d like would be a solid-state discrete stage powered from a bi-polar supply to remove the output capacitor. Looking at Elso Kwaks schematic, he’s got the o/p capacitor (which I’m not really adverse to, but would prefer to be without). For the input, would it be as simple as in the RAKK DAC with a resistor between I+ and I-?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
guzzler said:

Well if you want to go from balanced to single ended you need either a passive devise (transformer) which is straightforward, or an active device and you can either brew something yourself or use any of the audio balanced receiver chips like those from TI (e.g. OPA1632 or the INA134/137 series). Alternatively, why not use just ONE output into your preamp/power amp and forget about the other? You may have some more 2nd harmonic distortion, but that may even be an advantage as it will help to mask 3rd hasrmonic etc.

Jan Didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
00940 said:
The easiest way, but not discrete, is to do it like Bel Canto did it for the DAC2. Opa1632 (or ths4130) for balanced I/V followed by a INA134 to convert to single ended.

Or if you can accept complicated and expensive, there was this : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9910&highlight=

But it gives balance output, so you will need to use an ina134 afterwards.

Well if they used THS4130 AND INA134 that's not very smart. You can just ground one output of the THS and run that SE.

Jan Didden

the topology of the THS4130 (opa1632, same stuff) is rather simple.

Attachments

• ths4130.gif
    ths4130.gif
    9.7 KB · Views: 1,391
guzzler said:

Ideally, what I’d like would be a solid-state discrete stage powered from a bi-polar supply to remove the output capacitor. Looking at Elso Kwaks schematic, he’s got the o/p capacitor (which I’m not really adverse to, but would prefer to be without). For the input, would it be as simple as in the RAKK DAC with a resistor between I+ and I-?

There is a schematic in post #7 of this thread,
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60414
that can be used as the basis of a discrete single ended to balanced stage.

3rd order Bessel

Hi Guzzler,
After I-V conversion you may try this filter. It is a differential Bessel 3rd order with Fc=75.5kHz and unity gain. Its -3dB point is @ 53.68kHz and "bites" only ~ 0.4dB @20kHz. If you want to try this topology at another cutoff frequency, use other component values or even choose a Butterworth response just let me know. I can send/post all the design equations...

You'll get more effective results by tweaking the filter response to your taste than by swapping various OpAmps. (you can settle from the start to a good one)

And beware that many filter examples given in the manufacturer's AN for DACs aren't really Bessel responses, altough they may claim 'linear phase' somewhere in the text...:Pinoc:

Please rotate the pages in the attachment, ...I didn't see that one coming
Cheers

Attachments

• bess3_diff.pdf
    90.2 KB · Views: 468
There is a schematic in post #7 of this thread,
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/show...&threadid=60414
that can be used as the basis of a discrete single ended to balanced stage.

Now, that’s one really good but simple output stage. It does differential to single ended conversion and produces excellent current drive. What I see is great opportunity to modify this stage to drive loudspeakers directly, up to 3-10W. Volume control could be done just after the NE5334’s with differential stepped-ladder attenuator. The output 0 balance should get attention to ditch the coupling cap, as should power supply implementation of lets say + and – 20V at decent current. Everything (heatsink included) could fit within the DAC (I think it’s DAC output stage) and you could get really short signal paths and great sound. This may be of interest to those single-chip-amplifier freaks. I don’t think you would have to replace any transistors to achieve this output. MPSA43 / 92 are great, as are output Darlington’s. Just larger heatsink and additional power supply to power up the output discrete stage.

Extreme_Boky

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.