splitting a digital signal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Question that has been bugging me and I need to get answered before I start buying parts for my system. What I'm looking to do is this

DVD PLAYER---(2)DCX2496's---(2)5.1 denon amplifiers--- 2way 5.1 speakers.

My question is how to split the digital signal from the dvd player to 2 active crossovers. Help please. Btw I am also aware that the dcx's are no longer available and will be looking for a replacement part to take the place in my system, suggestions on that would be nice as well, thx.

bser,

There are more ways to do it - but one cheap little trick is to use a splitter, as it is shown in the pic. To do it really well you should apply a PCB with 75 ohm tracks etched on it, leading up to the SMD 1% - .5% 25 ohm resistors. But if You just take a small metal box RF style [like for example the old style TV - video tuner modules were], put in the three BNC connectors and three <1% 25ohm resistors, You will get a working module. [You screw all the connectors non-isolated to the casing, this will be the common ground. Then you connect the center pins as in the pic]
You can do it also with RCA connectors - at the price of getting even further away from the ideal line impedance.
This way one is attenuating the SPDIF signal by half, 6dB. This is not very good, but probably will still work.
In case of a non-used connector it should be always terminated.

If not this, then You should use an active repeater. I think a common video signal amp / distributor could work, but too slow. The best thing would be to do it with two HC86 drivers / transformers.

Ciao, George

Attachments

• 75ohm_splitter.jpg
    75ohm_splitter.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 287
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.