Newbie Project - Tweaking the SoundBlaster Live! 24-bit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'v been using the kx drivers for the better part of a year now, and i'm still finding new and genious uses for it!

the best piece of free software on my box.

conserning the crystal gluing thing, i may detect a slight cleaning up of the sound, it's less up in my face now too?

I'm not talking about something huge, but i may actualle hear something i havn't heard before, and some of what i heard before is gone..

i would say the audigy2 now sounds more like my live5.1 using the headphones out on the livedrive. i like the slight added detail.
hmm, i may have been wrong then.. (ouch, that one stung ;) )

It's especially audible on bass guitars, usally the top of them, the overdrive is lost in the guitar noise, but now i hear it a lot better, most of the time, just not when guitars are dead..

could any of you gurus comment on this? :D

-Marius

edit: after listening some more, it would seem the lower bottom end have gain considerably? i mean, i have never heard the bass this tight and precise? must be sugarpill right?

I'm glad that we concur, even if we've just both eaten the same brand of sugar pill. :)

I have noticed the 'cleaning up' of the sound, especially in the high end. Things like tape hiss is a little more certain than before. Bass does indeed seem slightly 'louder' on average (though my inital impression of the bass on the Soundblaster Live! 24-Bit was that it was a little quiet) and a little tighter - just a little bit more like an instrument rather than 'bass'.

Overall, I'd call this a very minor tweak in terms of sound quality, but I think it's noticeable - and, as it's practically free - why not? :)

'lo again Demogorgon

Are you going to recap the entire board, or just the caps that relate to the output? There are ~30 normal sized caps on my board, but I think the caps for the op-amp are SMD. :( I know people have recapped the output of the Chaintech AV-710.

The other idea I had was to maybe use an independent +-9v power supply based on two 9v batteries for the op-amps, and possibly powering the DAC with batteries as well. It would remove many of the problems of 'noisy' PC power supplies, though I suppose the signal that comes from the PC (digital signal and the power for everything else) will still be pretty 'loud'.

-T.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.