CDM 9/44 to repair CDM 9 Pro

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Quote from Tubenut
"Vinegrad, irrespective of which CDM9 variant Micro used on your player, the optics are interchangeable between the different types.
It takes 2 screws, static safe working and a little patience. I have resurrected a few CDM9 pro based players using the optics from CDM9/44. The motor seldom fails, the motor is the main diff between CDM9/44 and the pro (CDM9/60), as well as the material of the plate into which it is all bolted. It is aluminium or something on the pro vs steel I think on the 9/44."

Since it appears a lot easier and simpler to replace the whole CDm 9 Pro mechanism with a CDM 9/44 unit from Grandata or ... what would be the disadvantages of doing so?

Thanks

Ronald

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
They aren't interchangeable - the motor in the pro is a high end brushless hall effect motor and the one in the cdm9/44 is a cheap brush style motor. The pickup assembly is the only thing you want to interchange - there is a world of difference in quality between the two mechanisms.

The laser assemblies do really interchange very easily. You may not even have to remove the mechanism from the tray assembly to do it.

Observe good anti-static handling procedures and leave the shorting bar in place on the new pickup assembly until you are ready to connect it. At a minimum you should have a grounded wrist strap and a work space entirely free of paper and other foreign objects when you do the swap.

Note that some players don't respond well to the transplant - my Lambda Drive remains dead some months after the effort, and I have heard of others with similar problems with this drive. Theta's generally have no problem though - and you might be successful regardless of the brand.

Just watch out where you get the cdm9/44 from though - there are a lot of cheap reconditioned mechanisms out there and they often don't work.

Kevin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.