Denon 2900

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, I wondered if you can help me.

I found this thread whilst looking for a solution to my problem.

As others have said, I too have a Denon DVD 2900 which will not play some RB CDs, it seems to be about 1 in 3 of my collection, which are all in excellent condition.
You can hear the machine trying to read the contents and then giving up with a row of zeros in the display.

I read with interest Extreme_boky's and Gary Krant's possible solution, so I thought I would try it.
Now my trim pots are not side by side but one above the other, apparently the pick ups were modified by Denon and I think I have the older version. It looks like the bottom one is the equivalent to the right hand one(CD).

Anyway, without any test gear, using trial and mostly error I tweaked the lower pot in small increments, clockwise between 1/8th and 1/4 turn, to no avail.

Any suggestions as a way forward would be fantastic as I love the sound and looks of this player and really don't to give up on it.

Cheers

I would like to add some advices for people getting this kind of problem (CD or DVD not played).

Denon 2900 service manual has an specific section for this kind of problem. It talks about checking the laser diode current and, if it's 1,5 times higher than the original laser current (written on a label on the back side of the transport), replacing all the transport. If it's 0,5 times lower than the original it claims that the pickup has suffered an electrostatic problem and transport must be replaced. If laser diode current is right, it recommends to ckecks connections of some ICs on the HF motherboard.

My advices are:

• When suffering this problem, 90% of times transport must be replaced without the need of checking laser current values.
  • Instead of getting a full transport replacement (expensive and difficult to find), just change the optical pickup. In fact it's the origin of the problem because the rest of the transport is just a bundle of mechanical parts.
  • As I said previously, you can find a big offer of pickups on eBay. I bought mine from supermanmeliu (power seller), they sell quality goods at good prices and are fast and serious, very recommended guys. However I'm sure you could get the same part from other sellers with full confidence. Optical pickup costs 40-60 euro including shippings.
  • Optical pickup is VERY sensible to electrostatics, so when replacing it take anti electrostatic measures: avoid wear wool clothes, if possible put a cable from your wrist to GND...
  • Once mounted, remember to unsolder the CD/DVD laser diode shorts (two blobs located on the back side of the pickup, at the right of the bus cable. Once unsordered carefully check that they have been really removed.
I've found many people in Internet with this problem and many people trying to help them claiming that the solution is cleaning the lenses, performing changes on the HF board, upgrading firmware and bla bla bla. I've not found anyone solving the problem following those advices, however 99% of people than changed the pickup solved it. So my last advice is this: go for it.

I've taken photos of the process and I'll try to write a detailed tutorial on the next days. Please check http://wikhifi.wikispaces.com to get it.

Regards.

Wikihifi page is long gone, can you repost please?

Can someone advise which pot is which?

Attachments

• WIN_20200116_21_16_30_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20200116_21_16_30_Pro.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 184
Well, I tried turning both and things were only getting worse. Finally, it stopped reading SACDs whatever the position of the pots. Setting it back to exact same starting position didn’t help either, so I just replaced it with another pickup I had, and now it reads everything. I am very skeptical about touching these pots as this whole process is obviously not meant to be done after the pickup installation, since the pots are extremely inaccessible. And for 6.5 eur for the hole new pickup on eBay, I really don’t see the point.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi zdr,
Many head adjustments are very touchy. Forget tuning them for the best play by ear or anything along that line. If they are the laser output power, if you take them to or over the edge, the head is instantly toast and it will never read again.

Please, please, please, do not touch the variable controls in any player! Take it to someone who actually knows exactly what they are doing. If you haven't been specifically trained and do this for a living, no matter how much you think you know, you don't know. There is nothing more dangerous than someone who thinks they know what they are doing. "How hard can it be?" Not too difficult if you have the training and the equipment. Not possible to do correctly if you don't.

-Chris

Hi zdr,
Many head adjustments are very touchy. Forget tuning them for the best play by ear or anything along that line. If they are the laser output power, if you take them to or over the edge, the head is instantly toast and it will never read again.

Please, please, please, do not touch the variable controls in any player! Take it to someone who actually knows exactly what they are doing. If you haven't been specifically trained and do this for a living, no matter how much you think you know, you don't know. There is nothing more dangerous than someone who thinks they know what they are doing. "How hard can it be?" Not too difficult if you have the training and the equipment. Not possible to do correctly if you don't.

-Chris

Found out the same truth the hard way:) luckily these pickups are dirt cheap.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi zdr,
Those ones are, but there have been countless people who have ignored me and ended up writing off some nice machines because the heads were too expensive or not available. Too cheap to stand back and assess the situation and a nice machine bites the dust and that's what I am trying to save.

The original head, did it have brass sleeve bearings where the rods go through? How about the new head?

To all,
If you can't afford to fix something, sell it so someone else can get it repaired properly. There is not point in wrecking something so no one can have it. It's a real shame seeing nice equipment destroyed by the owner, or a friend "who knows something about electronics". TV and Computer shops are fairly notorious for destroying audio equipment too. Then there is my favorite. "I don't want to spend much because I have already spent $xxx.xx on it so far"! Then sell it! Exactly what does the next poor tech have to do with the history of your machine ... and he has to clean up after someone else who erased all the clues and created new faults in the process. I'm working on a Pioneer SX-1280 like that now. Repaired the negative HV regulator, repaired the traces in the FM section and removed an incorrect chip. Replaced a bunch of missing parts and now need to replace a PA1001-A / KB4437 (missing) MPX decoder and find a PA1002-A / KB4438. The PA1002-A is the actual fault, plus it needs an alignment. The rest was "struck by technician" faults.

-Chris

Hi zdr,
Those ones are, but there have been countless people who have ignored me and ended up writing off some nice machines because the heads were too expensive or not available. Too cheap to stand back and assess the situation and a nice machine bites the dust and that's what I am trying to save.

The original head, did it have brass sleeve bearings where the rods go through? How about the new head?

To all,
If you can't afford to fix something, sell it so someone else can get it repaired properly. There is not point in wrecking something so no one can have it. It's a real shame seeing nice equipment destroyed by the owner, or a friend "who knows something about electronics". TV and Computer shops are fairly notorious for destroying audio equipment too. Then there is my favorite. "I don't want to spend much because I have already spent $xxx.xx on it so far"! Then sell it! Exactly what does the next poor tech have to do with the history of your machine ... and he has to clean up after someone else who erased all the clues and created new faults in the process. I'm working on a Pioneer SX-1280 like that now. Repaired the negative HV regulator, repaired the traces in the FM section and removed an incorrect chip. Replaced a bunch of missing parts and now need to replace a PA1001-A / KB4437 (missing) MPX decoder and find a PA1002-A / KB4438. The PA1002-A is the actual fault, plus it needs an alignment. The rest was "struck by technician" faults.

-Chris

This might make sense for >1000eur machines, but this thread is about DVD2900 which goes regularly now for under 100eur. I bought another one for 40eur that had both laser and tray problems. I have now two machines in total.

1. Machine 1: I replaced the laser with new laser 1 and it still would not read recorded CDs well, but SACD/DVD-A was fine. I started playing around with trimmers, and it stopped reading SACD/DVD-A. I gave up and placed new laser 2, and it was reading most of the stuff. At least I thought it was.

2. Machine 2 came along, laser was a mess, so I replaced it with laser 1 from above. I repaired sliding gear. It still does not read SACD/DVD-A but reads CD-R like crazy! Much better than non-tweaked laser 2 in machine 1.

I am not going to take any of the 50eur machines to a shop which will charge 200eur for a fix, and still might not repair it. Moreover, spares for DVD2900 are not being produced any more so don't think any serious repair shops would even take it in.

So we are on our own, and this is DIY forum after all, so let's DIY:)

I am not left with other options but to tweak trimmers on my own, and it seems necessary even with new pickups. Having said that, I would appreciate if someone can point me to the correct trimpot for DVD/SACD:)

I fixed the second player that would not read anything, without changing the laser. Actually, I bought a dud from aliexpress for double the price of ebay which did not work, so I've just put back the original pickup and adjusted the pots.

I found the way to turn the pots without removing the pickup, which speeds up pot position hunting considerably and also eliminates the risk of electrostatic shock.

Hi, I'm having the same 00:00:00 on my 2900 with all media now. Ordered a brand new HOP1200S laserunit on Ebay. Comparing the old and new I noticed there's a tiny white piece of plastic on the old. Should that be transfered to the new laserunit?
One more question: should I remove the two solderblobs before or after I reconnect the ribboncable?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.