Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Low-noise oscillator
Low-noise oscillator
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd November 2002, 05:41 AM   #11
Jocko Homo is offline Jocko Homo  United States
Banned

I think it only puts out about 1 V rms or so. (I forget........yet another senior citizen moment.....)

The first go-round uses a '04 inverter set for a gain of 4 to square it up. Maybe next time I'll come up with something more exotic.

Jocko
Old 3rd November 2002, 10:34 AM   #12
mrfeedback is offline mrfeedback  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks.

Eric.
Old 13th November 2002, 08:57 PM   #13
pjkunz is offline pjkunz
diyAudio Member

At what point (if any) would one need to adjust values for higher freq. crystals (~24Mhz) and is this freq. still in a good space for this design? I'm trying to put together a circuit with the CS8420 on the front and the output freq. is a fixed 256Fs. I'd like to be able to 'play' with the higher Fs ranges.

Also, Jocko mentions gain on a 7404, this is something I don't understand? It as simple as adding a R2/R1 input/feedback resistor ratio for an inverting opamp? I thought output level was independent of input level in TTL?

Thank you.
Old 14th November 2002, 02:32 AM   #14
Banned

Default Other frequencies

Scale C1 and C2. For 24 MHz, cut them in half. C3 & C4 are adjusted so that the crystal will resonate into the load it was cut for. You will need to know that.

As for the inverter........yep, you can configure it just like an op-amp. The output level of that circuit is too low to make a square wave without some gain somewhere.

Make sure that whatever you do has a stable PSU, or all that work to get low phase noise will be gobbled up by jitter in that circuit.

Jocko
Old 14th November 2002, 06:20 AM   #15
pjkunz is offline pjkunz
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply,

I'll breadboard it up and play with it a bit. Thanks for the circuit and thanks for the help. I'll do a little homework on this before I ask any follow up questions...

-Pete Kunz
Old 14th November 2002, 07:01 AM   #16
pjkunz is offline pjkunz
diyAudio Member

Default Crystal load..

Ah, so this is designed for a parallel res. Xtal?, I was confused when it was described as operating in the series res. mode. I looked closer at your posts a saw where i missed it. Mia Culpa.
Old 16th November 2002, 11:07 AM   #17
Pjotr is offline Pjotr
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Here is some good reading about noise in oscillators.

Old 16th November 2002, 02:17 PM   #18
Banned

Almost all modern circuits place the crystal in the series resonant mode. The confusion arises when you start to specify the frequency.

A crystal that is said to be series resonant has its series resonant mode measured into a resistive load, say 50 ohms.

When you see a crystal with its resonant frequency specified at a parallel load of X pF (usually in the 20 - 32 pF range), the series resonant mode is measured with a load of that specifed capacitance, instead of the resisitive load.

Jocko
Old 25th November 2002, 06:58 PM   #19
jwb is offline jwb  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jwb
Default How to squarify?

Hi Jocko. Guess I'm glad you didn't take that 90-year sabbatical, since I'm building your oscillator now. What is the lowest-jitter way to turn this into a square wave? An inverter is pretty simple, but I was thinking of buying some AD8611 for testing.
Old 25th November 2002, 07:25 PM   #20
Banned

Default Best way?

I dunno........soemone send me an expensive 'scope that measures jittter, and I'll tell everyone. (That's life when the lab you used to work in is gone..........)

Your approach is the same as mine. I would imagine a clean supply for the inverter, and not using exotic high-speed logic, would be good starting points.

Jocko

Low-noise oscillatorHide this!Advertise here!