Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Replacing Sony KSS-240a laser in Arcam alpha 7 CD
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2012, 12:52 PM   #71
JonHarrison is offline JonHarrison  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quan,

How do you know that the laser assembly was faulty and is the only problem ?

I may be wrong but I believe that the laser focuses first (lens assembly moves up and down) and then once focus has been found the disc spins to read the TOC. (Some other players spin the disc first and then focus). If the disc is spinning that means that focus has been found which is a good sign. Check that the sled can track across the disc properly, it may be that it can't scan to the centre of the disc. I also assume that you have already checked the power supply voltages and ripple ?

Jon
Old 15th January 2012, 05:12 PM   #72
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Not wrong at all there Jon, you're spot on, the disc doesn't spin until focus is found... and that is much easier to do on a stationery disc. The disc is then "kicked" up to approx the correct speed at which point the data coming off disc is compared to an internal crystal clock. The disc motor servo then brings the disc speed up or down until its phase locked to the oscillator.
Old 15th January 2012, 07:19 PM   #73
quan is offline quan  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonHarrison View Post
Quan,

How do you know that the laser assembly was faulty and is the only problem ?

I may be wrong but I believe that the laser focuses first (lens assembly moves up and down) and then once focus has been found the disc spins to read the TOC. (Some other players spin the disc first and then focus). If the disc is spinning that means that focus has been found which is a good sign. Check that the sled can track across the disc properly, it may be that it can't scan to the centre of the disc. I also assume that you have already checked the power supply voltages and ripple ?

Jon
Yes Jon, i assumed the laser is the problem. I did moved the sledge away from center and it return to start up position when loading on disc. I have replaced the laser already but no TOC. The disc initially spin slowly ,the sledge move up and down then the disc spin faster for three seconds then stops and no disc appears. I can't find service manual for this cdp-which is a sony 291.
Quan
Old 21st January 2012, 08:38 AM   #74
soliton is offline soliton
diyAudio Member

Hello, I have an Arcam 7SE that skips. I already have the replacement laser. Would somebody be kind enough toPM me Kora's PDF doc? Kora even?
This is the most detailed, musical player I have heard (i have limited experience) and would love to get it right again. Thanks.
Old 8th February 2012, 10:02 PM   #75
Hoser1 is offline Hoser1
diyAudio Member

Default Need PDF

Can I please get the (how to replacement KSS 240A PDF) Thanks you (jose.donna@sbcglobal.net)
Old 16th April 2012, 05:33 PM   #76
Hi_Q is offline Hi_Q  England
diyAudio Member

My Arcam 7 has developed a fault. It starts to play the CD but certain frequencies have a raggedness about them, the tracks also sound slightly slower in speed but the difference is very very slight. Also, just gently tapping the top of the case causes skipping, even jumping to the next track! Is this a worn laser fault? Perhaps someone could send me the pdf about laser module replacement, it would be most appreciated. (lez@ntlworld.com)
Many thanks in advance, Les
Old 16th April 2012, 06:18 PM   #77
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

The CD's speed is crystal controlled so I very much doubt there is any issue there. If you want to prove it then play a test CD with tones and use a frequency counter on the audio output to check. No laser fault can alter the speed.

The KSS240 is dead easy to replace and could well be suspect although normally I like to prove optical blocks faulty first. The 240 had a problem with the lens suspension assembly I seem to remember.
Old 18th April 2012, 10:05 AM   #78
gmphadte is offline gmphadte  India
diyAudio Member

Sony CD head repairs !!!
Old 17th May 2012, 12:55 PM   #79
burmar is offline burmar  Italy
diyAudio Member

Please... i would like to replace kss-240a me too...
Can i have the guide on pdf ?
Thanks in advance
Quote:
gipo63@yahoo.it
Old 2nd July 2012, 08:31 PM   #80
viper69 is offline viper69
diyAudio Member

Could I get a copy of the KSS240a replacement guide pdf? Thanks in advance - london dot pete at hotmail dot co dot uk

Replacing Sony KSS-240a laser in Arcam alpha 7 CDHide this!Advertise here!