does foobar + convolver =DEQX??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All

I'm really getting out of my depth here..

My question simply put is can the effect and function of the DEQX system be replicated by using something like Foobar 0r winamp + a convolver give you the same type of results as the DEQX system? (my guess is probably not nearly as well)

IS digital room correction the next(ish ) big thing we can attack here?

Cheers

Sure i have a set-up with foobar 2K and the comvolver using filter from DRC ver 2.5.1 - then from soundcard SPIF into Behringer DCX 2496 and the onto the power amplifiers and speakers.

There exsist a few Cross over plugins for Foobar but i have not been able to get them to work togheter with the convolver module - so hence the digital external crossover.

And the sound - YES it is well worth trying out

Morten

Hi Morten

Looks like you've already beat me to it.
I also have a dcx2496 into which I want to run SPDIF.
A couple of questions..
a) What SPDIF input method are you using? (cable , transformer ??)
B) What level control method are you using for volume after the DCX2496?

The steep crossover slopes in Foobar look attractive too!

Many thanks in anticipation

george a said:

a) What SPDIF input method are you using? (cable , transformer ??)

Cheap standard coax signal cable + a phono to XLR converter(just pure pasive)

george a said:

B) What level control method are you using for volume after the DCX2496?

I have fixed attenuators of approx 18 dB in front of the Poweramps - taking advantage of the fact that foobar 2K produce a 24 bit dithere signal out - so i have a regulation area off approx 24 dB in foobar 2K - it might not be ideal but it is doing the job right now.

george a said:

The steep crossover slopes in Foobar look attractive too!

I have not tried the crossovers in Foobar the DCX has more than amble options right now and phase linerisation can be done via DRC.

I would say i have approx 24dB of regulation without any big differnces in sound. So i have trimmed the attenuators in fornt of the power amps so that 0dB is just as loud as i would like to go ( which is far from power amp clipping in the power amps)

I use ETF in order to set up the DCX with the crossovers & Eq so i have the sound i like. AFter that i use the DRC package from Denis Sbragion:

http://drc-fir.sourceforge.net/

in order to get the FIR filter coefficients for the convolver - this is the room correction part.

With out some proper measurement kit you will be out in deep water ........

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.