Some learned advice needed. Pretty please.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

G

Joined 2002
Hi All,

Let me say first off that I am clueless about digital other than a very vague idea. On that note I need to ask for some opinions. I am in the market for a DAC to mate with my Cal Delta transport. I have a choice between a Ack Dack v1.3, a Bel Canto Dac1, a Wadia Dac 12, A Audio Crafters Guild X-Dac 3.0 and a Cal Audio Alpha Dac. My system consists of a highly modified, custom built Foreplay preamp, a custom built, single ended EL34 amp in triode mode and a pair of Fostex full rangers. I am presently using a Cal Audio Gamma DAC which is the weak link in the chain so to speak. Any of the DACs I'm looking at will be an upgrade over what I have but I need some experienced opinions before I pull the trigger. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Gavin

I would avoid anything made by Wadia. Too long to explain why.

Why do you feel that dACK! will be an improvement? You can build something better than that without too much trouble.

The rest...........not familar with them.

If you really want your DAC to sing (so to speak), save up tyour money for a secondary PLL device. All DACs will have mucho jitter........hundreds of picoseconds, and that much is definitely audible. A good PLL add-on should reduce that to less than 10 picoseconds.

Short of spending money on that...............the next best thing that you can do is to get the most out of the SPDIF TX/RX setup. You should be able to find several of my posts ranting about how to fix that.

Jocko

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.