Source of low phase noise crystals

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Uh........hate to tell you this, but........

Stocker said:
If you want low phase noise, you really should have a look at Wenzel Associates
:)
Will they sell single oscillator for 11.2896MHz? I don't need 50 or so of them. I've tried to buy from Raltron and Valpey Fisher distributors - not available in quantities of 1-2 pieces.

Jocko Homo said:
Crystals are not specified by "phase noise". Crystal Q plays a part in it. As does circuit design and the rest of the parts.

Jocko
Excuse my language, I just wrote it after looking at "features" at http://www.icmfg.com/crystal_hc35u.html I hope inflicted damage is not permanent

What is the source of 11.289.6MHz crystals with lowest ESR/highest Q, where is possible to order 1 crystal on reasonable price?

The best source is an old Philips CDP. I sent some of their crystals out to a manufacturer once. They spec'ed the Q at around 150K. They were willing to sell me some of theirs..........Q of 175K or so............for molto $$$$ if I was willing to buy a boatload of them.

It is possible to make something close to Guido's if you have the expertise, including a low-noise supply, with an old Philips crystal. I can, but then I have the background in that stuff.

ECL is one way to go. Just rip a crystal out of an old CDP...........it will more than adequate to get started.

(The main problem with those CDPs is the lousy circuit...........stuck inside of the filter chip, not the crystal.)

Jocko

That page is not the only one on the Wenzel site. Their claim to fame is

low phase-noise clocks.

Like -180dB or so phase noise.

I interviewed for a job there (another story) and while we were chatting the vibration table powered up... they shook the whole building! Anyhow, if you have $$$$.$$ to spend, they will probably be happy to build you whatever the heck you need! One-off is no problem if you can afford it. But the quality... wow.

Anyhow, this is one example that was easy to find without much digging. Check the phase noise part.

example

stolbovoy said:
I want to try ECL clock source http://www.lynxaudio.narod.ru/schemes/sch_17.pdf

Where can I buy good 11289.6MHz crystal (one piece order)?

Hi stolbovoy.
Email me through the forum's system (your email is unfortunately disabled).
For the most part I agree with Jocko. The circuit is the most important. SC-cut crystals seem to give the best results but are VERY expensive. BT-cut seems to be slightly better and most common crystals are AT-cut as this is a good comprimise with respect to temperature stability.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=199928#post199928

:cool:

Re: Re: Source of low phase noise crystals

Elso Kwak said:

Hi stolbovoy.
Email me through the forum's system (your email is unfortunately disabled).
For the most part I agree with Jocko. The circuit is the most important. SC-cut crystals seem to give the best results but are VERY expensive. BT-cut seems to be slightly better and most common crystals are AT-cut as this is a good comprimise with respect to temperature stability.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=199928#post199928

:cool:
Thanks for reply!
My e-mail is stolbovoy<at>hotmail.com
Unfortunately, the only player I have (Parasound 1000 AKA CEC 2200) has 384Fs crystal, but I need 256Fs

How old????

I dunno........I haven't worked on one newer than '90 or so. As long as it is not an all-in-one DVD style, it will be 256Fs.

I can find some at the local surplus store that seem ok, but they are most likely cut for a 20-32 pF load. As are the Philips ones. I do not have a source for cheap ones cut for a series load, which is most likely what you will want for an ECL circuit.

So it is off a kHz or so..............you will never know the difference.

Elso might, be we won't believe him. [joke]

Jocko

D2mn you chaps... Now I have to lead tape and rubber tape one of the old crystals out of my heap of scraps and stick it into my Theta...... :)

Thanks

Dunno when I will do this but will let you guys know if I hear a difference with a Philips "dampened/modified" crystal.

Just stuck sound deadening (automotive) panels in the case of the Theta so still getting used to that fore now. Will not change anything for a week or so.

Later

Sticking all that goop on the crystal really doesn't buy much. Vibration can still come in through the leads, and right up to the crystal. I have measured the phase noise doing it those ways, and it is just as microphonic. Look at Wenzel's site for a link to the proper way to do it.

Jocko

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.