BEHRINGER SRC 2496 opinions kindly requested.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wires?

Little OT... need some help.... Made the passive output mod (L+ and R+ from DAC pins direct to caps avoiding every opamps) and once connected to my system a little noise came out from the L channel.
Scoped that channel and it shows a 3KHz ~80mVpp sawtooth wave. Dead silence on the other channel (R). Any ideas? Tnx
Where did you solder the wires? Does the audio play on top of the noise?

Hi tvrgeek: I believe in one thing, i.e, power supplies are the most important part of any electronic equipment.

For digital equipment, i will also pay attention to the oscillator noise created on the ground (eith by buils an out-board, dedicate clock or using ferrite bead/clip on choke to isolate some harmful ground noise, especially the ground noise created by 4MHz VFD (display) micro-controller oscillator. (ALL in MHZ level X/O ground noise need to be dealt with carefully).

As long as we have controlled of the above problem, caps is the next then the other parts: caps, diodes...

Right on with the ground comments. Those without lab experience assume ground is some magic place things go, rather than an abstract concept executed usually poorly.

Just spent two days not trying to get my test bench below 80dB total distortion and noise. I have not switched the DCX into it yet. When I was just doing speakers, 60 was fine. Finally this afternoon I got the 60 Hz down to -90. But my Audio Buddy mic preamp oscillates at 35K, my Audigy output distorts above .5 V out, really goes bad with more than .3V in, and the Audio Buddy overloads at .8 V. I put 10K attenuates in my rig, but the Audigy can't drive them. Looks like I am going to have to break down and build an active preamp and buy a better A to D. To add insult to injury, the stepped attenuators I bought have some wrong resistors in them. So much thinking I was smart to get repeatable attenuation.

I have heard that noise too.

Resistor group (R43 11K) removed.
When SRC was in stock form, no noise came out from output.
A bad solder on AKM's leg L+ could result in a sawtooth noise wave:confused: Or AKM for some unknown reasons is fried?

I was going to say that I have heard that noise before. A few times. After upgrading the dac chip to AK4396. If any of the legs are cold soldered or there is flux carbon bridging a leg it will cause various noises. Also the chips are very fragile to heat when soldering. Very fussy about it and die easily. I solder the legs one by one and count to ten in between each one. I use a 10X photography viewer strapped onto my eye and a fine, 700* solder tip.
It may be time for you to upgrade the chip and then you can also eliminate the analog filter as the AK4395/96 have such low ultrasonic noise you can run truly direct out with no filter. Just a high quality coupling cap. Eliminating the 1k resistor (and shunt cap) will sound much more dynamic into difficult loads such as a passive volume control.

I have AK4395 4396

Genglemen: wher do you folks get AK4396VF, and how much you paid for one? It is very hard to get in US...

I have them for $7.50 each plus $7.50 shipping to US addresses. They are only available from the distributor in quantity. They are very tricky to install. Very small and easy to damage with heat. I haven't tried it in my SRC as I use it with digital out to a modified DEQ or DCX but they drop in and sound beautiful in those so I assume the SRC will have the appropriate registers set as well. The AK4395 actually sounds a bit better than the 4396 but requires some extra work to lift pin 2 and supply a new 5v digital supply. One thing I have always wanted to try in addition to the dac swap, develop a serial control in order to unlock the slow filter. Email if you want some through PayPal.
scott.endler@verizon.net

Hi sender: I want to buy a dozen! (Just in case I get bad luck, if not, I will give the rest to my friend) Total o=is 7.5 x 13 = USD97.5 Will e-mail you regarding the Paypal info. With some tools, I could solder DSD1792A all right, I hope thisis not too much harder than 1792A...

I was going to say that I have heard that noise before. A few times. After upgrading the dac chip to AK4396. If any of the legs are cold soldered or there is flux carbon bridging a leg it will cause various noises. Also the chips are very fragile to heat when soldering. Very fussy about it and die easily....

Another culprit could be the +5V supply? I know that's not probable cause the other channel should have the same noise.... just a thought :confused:

About upgrading the 4393 to the higher version; the 4396 is 192KHz capable but this feature will not be used in SRC2496 since CS8420 is "only" 96KHz capable, isn't?
Do this lack affects the SRC sample rate button function? (I assume no since this button interact on CS8420) Am I right?

Highest rate

Another culprit could be the +5V supply? I know that's not probable cause the other channel should have the same noise.... just a thought :confused:

About upgrading the 4393 to the higher version; the 4396 is 192KHz capable but this feature will not be used in SRC2496 since CS8420 is "only" 96KHz capable, isn't?
Do this lack affects the SRC sample rate button function? (I assume no since this button interact on CS8420) Am I right?
If you swap the 4393 for AK4396 it will decode the highest rate that comes to it from the SRC which is 24/96.

Thanks for the link Scott. I wonder if the auto gain features are also partly to blame. Digital level attenuation means dropping bits. We only need 1.2 V or so to drive consumer amps into clipping, not 9V. Matching things up with digital can be trickier than with analog. 6 good pots sound like a really good idea. Leave all the digital at max.

I was posting in tools as I use this thing as a tool on my test bench. I am trying to evaluate it's accuracy as a test tool. How good is it as a D to A compared to my BurrBrown and Audigy? Right now I have it hooked up as an analog-analog crossover. I am just getting around to trying the digital in.

The "safe" way to change OP amps in these things is to download the data sheet, and follow the suggestions that they use, find the datasheet for the OPs they are using then change to the OPs with similar slew rate, band-width.

If you were a designer, there is a new book written by Walter Jung:

http://www.amazon.com/Amp-Applicati...r_1_50?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262406286&sr=8-50

There are lots of information in there. However, it is written for designers.

Wow, $60. Guess my 30 year old $6 is a bit out of date!

Too difficult

Well, I did my first, and last, direct out mod to an SRC. It is way too difficult to reliably get wires onto the vacated resistor group pads without lifting the traces. I ended up soldering fine wires right to the dac chip which was also ridiculous. The SRC is a nice addition in front of a DEQ for analog in and upsampling but direct out mods and dac swaps are much better off in a DEQ or DCX where the ribbon cable can be used to get the signal very easily. Besides, I would never give up my digital EQ.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.