Upgrading Arcam Alpha CD5+ Analogue Board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cheers guys,
i will get on these mods in the next few days once my gain clone are complete (and i have tidied up the mess i created making then enough to silence the missus).

This is turning into a useful thread.

Any suggestions on opamps and caps swaps for this player?

Fil

Hi Guys,
Grounding Pin 4 improves the sound in conjunction with the other mods. I havn't tried it in standard format.

On my board I've upgraded caps as follows:

main psu ones by regulators to Black Gate standard

100uf around reference voltage to Black Gate fks

all remaining 100ufs to Nichicon FG Muse

100ufs except black gates in digital locations bypassed with 5uf Sanyo oscons. I have heard that it can sound even better if you remove the ceramic bypass already in place AND the 100uf caps (apart from your Balc Gates) but ahvn't tried that one.

I use Black gate n series non polar for the output couplers and take the output direct from the output of the opamps to the phono sockets bypassing all those nasty muting transistors etc.

Result? It sounds gorgeous but I reckon there's more to go by swapping to a valve ouput stage so am trying this next.

As for opamps, I ahvn't swapped them but folk say ones to go for are AD865s.
Cheers
David

BURSON AUDIO HDAM MODULE

Hi,
glad I found this thread as im fairly new to modding and could do with some help ive have fitted two single HDAM modules in the output stage of the ARCAM 5+ replacing the opamps (they dont work well in the I/V stage ive read). Not an instant night and day improvement but they are good and getting better as they run in, but I would still recomend them over any opamp, I would like to hear from others who have used them on this opinion, they need a good power supply to get the most from them so im going to buy 2 of there regulators to replace the two on the anolog board that feed the opamps, Ive also used silver mica caps small values in the output stage and fitted a net audio rock clock+psu, however while trying to fit op627au opamps solderd to brown dog ic adaptors maybe damaged them or connected wrong not sure what ever ive done the clock and possibly something on the board is damaged as the disc now spins realy fast.

Re: BURSON AUDIO HDAM MODULE

ALAN123 said:
Hi,
glad I found this thread as im fairly new to modding and could do with some help ive have fitted two single HDAM modules in the output stage of the ARCAM 5+ replacing the opamps (they dont work well in the I/V stage ive read). Not an instant night and day improvement but they are good and getting better as they run in, but I would still recomend them over any opamp, I would like to hear from others who have used them on this opinion, they need a good power supply to get the most from them so im going to buy 2 of there regulators to replace the two on the anolog board that feed the opamps, Ive also used silver mica caps small values in the output stage and fitted a net audio rock clock+psu, however while trying to fit op627au opamps solderd to brown dog ic adaptors maybe damaged them or connected wrong not sure what ever ive done the clock and possibly something on the board is damaged as the disc now spins realy fast.

Hi.

If the disk is spinning fast, it will be a fault with the clock or clock power.

As for Burson , all their products are available much cheaper from the manufacturers in China via the web. Burson are only resellers and according to another thread, are a little underhand in their sales methods !!

See :- http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79185&highlight=

Products available from :- http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/diy.htm

Andy

I am new to DIY Audio and have started down the mod path on the Arcam 5 model. I have moded a Marantz cd67se almost to distruction( saw this discription thought appropriate ). Would like to offer a mod to the arcam 5 cd player that I have not seen mentioned. Since, I believe that the de-emphasis cd mode is hardly used on modern cd format, why not remove the transistors that perform this funtion. It has a greater impact on the final sound than does the removal of the muting transistors. I hear deeper bass, and a veil around the mids is removed. The transistors are Q1 and Q101 located on the analog board. I have also install an Elma switch on the analog board to change from oversampling to NOS. Still comparing, but initially I like the NOS finer detail presentation.

Thank you to all

Today, Just finished my own AA5+
the upper (Analog/Out-put) board
"replace all resistors in signal part and feedback loop
""replace 4 single opamps
"""replace all decoupling cap
""""lift 3 resistor and get 3 line from link pin to TDA pin 1,2,3 for making the nos DAC.

the lower board (PS and Digital)
"replace all diode in PS part to schottky type
""replace filter cap (Rubycon ZL and Nippon chemicon KZE)
"""replace all electrolytic caps(Decoupling caps)

the result
the sounding is not likt the original AA5+ ,
new sounding like the combo CDM9 transport+ good nos DAC

very glad, but I think about the next step more improve the sound , may be must improve the chassis and tranport with damping material and add some weight.

Attachments

• Copy of DSCF3455.JPG
    Copy of DSCF3455.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 399
  • Copy of DSCF3456.JPG
    Copy of DSCF3456.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.