digital volume control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, I have searched google, and these forums for an answer to my question .......

I have a CD transport (exact details irrelevant) which outputs left justified 16/44.1 in the 3-wire serial.

I am building a little circuit to give the unit a toslink output to feed into my digital EQ (DEQ2496) and digital X-Over (DCX2496), but there is a problem,

I need to be able to turn down the volume (using PA amps, no external gain controls).

is there a small circuit which can take the 3-serial or toslink data from the transport and subsequently reduce the output level?

the existing 'analog' volume control is the rotary phase type knob, which I can parallel into the 'digital volume' circuit prior to toslink convertor

I would prefer a solution which up-converts the CD audio to 24/96 prior to the volume control, so as not to lose resolution in the attenuation stage, then I can feed the signal to the EQ - all digital.

please

Simon

Hi,
I'm using the src 2496 as the main input device - feeding it with signal (digital) from satellite receiver, cd and analog phono preamp.
From there on the signal passes to the deq, dcx where it gets converted back to analog and passes through two six gang pots for volume control before it gets to the power amps. You could do the same with a remote controlled digital volume control:
http://www.maxim-ic.com/DigitalPotentiometers.cfm

Pulse-R said:

<snip>
is there a small circuit which can take the 3-serial or toslink data from the transport and subsequently reduce the output level?

<snip>
I would prefer a solution which up-converts the CD audio to 24/96 prior to the volume control, so as not to lose resolution in the attenuation stage, then I can feed the signal to the EQ - all digital.

please

Simon

TI SRC4193.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.