Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Modification marantz cd67 mkII

Hi all,

Help!!!

I Like to start with a modification of my cd67 mk2.
I've read lots of articles that my head is spinning at the moment, i dunno where to start. Power supply,DAC HDAM CLOCK.... pfffffff.

What would be the first mod that i can do? I cant spend hundreds of euro,s but i want to start my first mod project.

Any suggestion would be appriciated.

Regards.

Fred

Welcome to the club ;-)

You could start by working through this thread:

Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

But from my own experience - you should get immediate difference in sound with relatively low cost by using DOS-output stage and providing separately regulated power to it. If you use relays then you may be able to switch between the DOS and native output stage to provide live comparison.
Whether you like the new sound or not - that is another story. I like it but "friends of digital silence" may not join me...
After that you can upgrade the power feeds to different chips, the clock may be a bit costly and "overkill" for a start.
It is a long journey...

Would The Flea be a good decision with separated power supply?

I sincerely do not think you will be hearing any effect from the change of clock unless you have sorted out the analogue output stage and - to some extent - the power rails.

So I would postpone the clock replacement to "some time later on" when you have sorted out the basics.

But whatever you are going to do - how do you intend to evaluate the changes in sound?

Making a DOS for the analog outputstage! (Darn...sounding like a pro but havent a clue, ...

Do a search for "DOS-output" in the Digital source subforum and you will find relevant posts there.
You can also find the BOMs for replacement parts in the beginning of the thread linked in my first response.

As an alternative you could try a DOS-stage variation (should be easier to build in the beginning) - use the input filter from it and feed the signal into e.g. OPA2132/4 opamp (certainly using appropriate feedback).

BTW, have you not considered posting your modification questions into the "master thread" - more people could be following that and responding to you...

Amagad!

Attachments

• iStock_000011159480Small.jpg
    iStock_000011159480Small.jpg
    580.1 KB · Views: 269
Joined 2018
Paid Member
I have a cd67mk2 that had intermittent laser issue. It has had the VAM replacement at some point in its life.

I now have Err12 which is a sled fault. I haven't found much on the interwebatron about fixing this.

The player is standard that I planned on modding. I have a lighly modded Cambridge audio dacmagic that I would use with the CD67...assuming that this is a better dac than in the Marantz?

But now the CD has stopped playing...do I invest in it ( I only have £45 in it)...or plump for a better player.

I quite like the idea of A denon DVD player like a DVD 3910. But then if I plan to use the Dacmagic is that a waste of a machine with good dac inside.?