Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Hi Everyone,

I do hope someone could kindly guide me in regards of two topics.
Multiple power supply pins in servo/decoder and DAC:
SM5872BS datasheet page 5:
„All power supply pins (VDD and VSS) must be connected to the same extermal power supply unit”
SAA7372 datasheet page 6:
„All supply pins must be connected to the same external power supply voltage”
Does it mean all pins from the same regulator? (I know from this forum about multi-reg implementations done by experts: Fidelity Audio or 6h5c)
Is there any risk with multiple regs for single chip?
At power on CD player should read TOC from disc even if disc was already inside the tray. It is not working. Not always. By fast switching power-off/power-on the disc is detected and TOC is visible. (Normal operation: power-on, tray-open, tray-close - this is always OK). Have You ever notice such behaviour? I think the reason could be to short RESET time at power on (RC delay with RF03+CF03). Either "old" CF03 lost parametres or the entire CD (bigger PSU caps ?) require a bit longer delay for microC and servo/decoder. I will check the cap and/or replace 100kom RF03 with 200k.

Regards/Marcin

Hello again,
afer my short vacation brake in France CD67mkII topic continues...
Ad1
I decided for separate LM317 regulators for DEC and DAC. AC and DC pins are additionaly separated by 470uH/2ohm inductors
Ad2
Did not solve the problem yet. It looks like it is reset problem with DEC at startup however RF03=470k + CF03=4.7uF (much longer reset period) did not help...
At the same time the CD was upgraded with:
- better inductors for all DC filtering points (470uH/2ohm EPCOS + 2 ferrites)
- 3mm copper bottom plate which also adds approx 3kg mass to the unit
- copper shielding for Burson opamps
Please have a look at photos.
Still hope that someone could comment about DEC reset problem at power on.
Regards
Marcin

Attachments

• LM317-DEC-DAC.jpg
    LM317-DEC-DAC.jpg
    593.2 KB · Views: 490
  • Copper-bottom-plate.jpg
    Copper-bottom-plate.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 475
  • BursonOPAMP-shields.jpg
    BursonOPAMP-shields.jpg
    556.4 KB · Views: 486
Ad2
Did not solve the problem yet. It looks like it is reset problem with DEC at startup however RF03=470k + CF03=4.7uF (much longer reset period) did not help...

Hi again,
just to give update to anyone interested:
I tested poweron reset with wire accross CF03 for approx 2seconds.
This 2-second reset at power on solves the problem.
DEC and uC start propoerly, TOC is detected and presented on display.
Current to the GND(0V) when CF03 is wire shorted is close to 0.5mA.
Not sure if it is coming from uC or DAC reset input ports... and why...
Anyway this 0.5mA is probably charging the CF03 and shortening the reset period... This is independent from RF03 value.
So I kept RF03=100kohm and increased CF03 to 100uF (quite big...).
The reset is now long enough at power on.
But not sure if pin3 of the QF02 (open collector) will survive with such big CF03...
So far it works ok...
Regards
Marcin

Hi Everyone,

After changing out a bulged 220uf 16v cap from C148, my cd63KI has developed a problem that I have identified as being linked to incorrect voltages at pins Q106.

Pin # Voltage
1 0.0v
2 1.2v
3 0.0v
4 + 0.49v
5 2.5v
6 2.5v
7 2.5v
8 2.5v

Pins 9 - 16 all + 0.495v

R149 measures -13.20v
R150 12.55v

At power up, the laser movement is visible and audible and in the dark the orange glow of the laser can be seen.

I have removed the pcb and inspected tracks and solder pads under magnification and bright light, but no obvious or tell-tale signs of of dry solder joints are visible.

For good measure I resoldered most pins, and jumpers, capacitors and resistors around Q106 but the condition persists.

I have a few spare TCA0372 driver chips so I replaced the defective component, only to find no change to the relevant voltages.

Any directions from this point would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi all

Having done much tweakings to a CD67SE with the help of this incredibly long thread and the wonderful Ray, i've gone as far as i can go with that now (discrete o/p stage, relayed muting, all Ray's suggestions, plus additional regs etc.

I'm awaiting the arrival of a CD63mkii KI this week, and i'm looking to do some similar steps on this (although keeping the standard output instead of Ray's Discrete output Stage). Digging through Ray's guide I notice it's been written in 2007 - and it mentions Black Gate Std caps, clearly not available any more! Could anyone make any good recommendations to replace these options (i guess reading around i'll need to add a 110nF SMD underneath the cap?)

Are there any other recommendations of variations from Rays guide for the 63? For example, when comparing the CD67 mods, there appears to be a few variations that are different to the 63 mods for the same items?

Finally - I've seen a lot of mention of adding a second external clock to the 63 in addition to the new DAC clock. Has anyone done this and is it worth it?

Cheers!

Hi all

Having done much tweakings to a CD67SE with the help of this incredibly long thread and the wonderful Ray, i've gone as far as i can go with that now (discrete o/p stage, relayed muting, all Ray's suggestions, plus additional regs etc.

I'm awaiting the arrival of a CD63mkii KI this week, and i'm looking to do some similar steps on this (although keeping the standard output instead of Ray's Discrete output Stage). Digging through Ray's guide I notice it's been written in 2007 - and it mentions Black Gate Std caps, clearly not available any more! Could anyone make any good recommendations to replace these options (i guess reading around i'll need to add a 110nF SMD underneath the cap?)

Are there any other recommendations of variations from Rays guide for the 63? For example, when comparing the CD67 mods, there appears to be a few variations that are different to the 63 mods for the same items?

Finally - I've seen a lot of mention of adding a second external clock to the 63 in addition to the new DAC clock. Has anyone done this and is it worth it?

Cheers!

I have almost completed my Discrete output stage, waiting for delivery of inductors. My mods include full house as per Ray's list for the CD67 OSE, CD63 KI Mkii as well as CD63 and CD4000. What regulator mods have you included?
Some pics would be nice.

looking at the 63 KI guide it only mentions changing the 12v regs out for LM317/337s, nothing about individual regs for different areas of the CDP.

Has anyone done the Servo clock mod? is it worth doing aas well as the DAC?

There is a detailed write up on how to provide power to the decoder after isolating it from the common supply at Q811. I have attached pics of the driver regulator mod and decoder clock mod. I haven't undertaken the project myself so cannot comment on the end result.

These pics are not my work, and were shared by a diyaudio member, I do not claim any credit for them.

Attachments

• cd63ki decoder clock mod.JPG
    cd63ki decoder clock mod.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 369
  • CD63driverregs.jpg
    CD63driverregs.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
thanks for the info :) I notice on your photos that you have literally just connected regs straight onto the various sections od DAC etc and not on a board with LEDs? I was looking at using an LED based reg circuit but can't find a circuit from someone who's designed one specifically for audio - did you design yourself or lift the design from elsewhere?

My 67 SE has got Ray's excellent CFP DOS board in, together with a Flea - sounds great!

interesting, different options there then! so using the circuit diagram and my basic electronics knowledge, C611-C614 are for the op-amp supply rails so you would suggest ZLx for these, with CD05/06 and CD15/16 would be Panasonic SEPC? (based on Ray's KI values)?

I'm trying to get to grips with what should be used where, but it's confusing when you don't have a deep understanding of electronics like some people :)

Also, I was looking at your photos again, particularly the extra voltage regulators you've put in around the DAC - I notice that one supply uses a 317 with LEDs, but another one (nearest the clock) is just a straight regulator without any further smoothing caps on it - is there a reason for that?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Welcome to diyAudio :)

The questions you need to ask yourself are whether or not the unit is economically viable to be repaired. Modified units can hold a multitude of (well meaning) sins and many repairers would not really be interested in fault-finding on a modified unit. For example, is the reported issue simply a transport/laser problem, or is it caused by the modifications that have been done.

My advice (unless you are technically competent and skilled in diagnostics) would be to look elsewhere.

Welcome to diyAudio :)

The questions you need to ask yourself are whether or not the unit is economically viable to be repaired. Modified units can hold a multitude of (well meaning) sins and many repairers would not really be interested in fault-finding on a modified unit. For example, is the reported issue simply a transport/laser problem, or is it caused by the modifications that have been done.

My advice (unless you are technically competent and skilled in diagnostics) would be to look elsewhere.

Thanks for the advice but I am still havent made up my mind.

Actually the cost of this modded cd63 is not too expensive and if I cannot repair it I can still make use of the useable parts such as the 3 transformers, the clock, the Burson op-amps and the low signal voltage regulators for my future modding project.