Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

I think its 1/4watt. Can anyone confirm that? I am planning to some good components to swap. I am going to use BG STD 220uf 16v in opamp, DAC and 2 BG STD 1000uf may be in power supply and one BG STD 4700uf 16v also in power supply. Between how many silver mica's I have to use totally and what are positions? I have Mundorf 4700uf 40V and 3300uf 63V in hand. Can I use it in power supply?

Thanks
Badri

Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum and have read with interest on modding the CD63.
I have follow some of the suggestions from this forum and made certain modifications to my CD63 which are so far successful.
Recently I tried to supply the servo controller Q104 with two 5V regulated supply. I lifted R122 and R123 and fed a 5V supply to them. Unfortunately the CD drive did not read the table of content of the CD. Is there something I have missed out ?

Have you fixed it?
yes, I have found and solved the problem. The connection is OK but I found a cold joint in one of the supplies in R123. After re-soldered the joint everything works like a charm.
For your information I have independent regulated 5V supply to the servo; the RF section; the HF section; DAC; and decoder. I have also changed the + and - 12V regulators for the analogue section with + and - 12V low noise voltage regulators.

For the 5V regulators I used LT1763-5. It is a small surface mount chip having very low noise level according to the data sheet. See the attached photo.

Attachments

• P1010495.jpg
    P1010495.jpg
    631.8 KB · Views: 189
yes, I have found and solved the problem. The connection is OK but I found a cold joint in one of the supplies in R123. After re-soldered the joint everything works like a charm.
For your information I have independent regulated 5V supply to the servo; the RF section; the HF section; DAC; and decoder. I have also changed the + and - 12V regulators for the analogue section with + and - 12V low noise voltage regulators.

For the 5V regulators I used LT1763-5. It is a small surface mount chip having very low noise level according to the data sheet. See the attached photo.

Nice.

Just added some more 7805s (standard) a total of 7 so far (fancy ones and standard) SQ is definitely better:)

There are some resistors that carry 12v (measured at 11.60 or therabouts) is there anything to be gained by adding 12v regs in place of these? I am not sure if a 12v reg is possible given that the voltage is slightly less that 12v?

Rob.

Just added some more 7805s (standard) a total of 7 so far (fancy ones and standard) SQ is definitely better:)

There are some resistors that carry 12v (measured at 11.60 or therabouts) is there anything to be gained by adding 12v regs in place of these? I am not sure if a 12v reg is possible given that the voltage is slightly less that 12v?

Rob.

In what way would you say it has improved?

In what way would you say it has improved?

I have done all the most popular mods in addition to the regs (by-passing HDAMs, up-grading PS caps, removing muting transistors, adding by-pass caps to various parts of the DAC chip, grounding the crystal, and other bits and pieces)

So my comment regarding the regs should be read in this context.

Prior to adding the regs I was of the opinion that the '63 was a rather forward sounding player and that this was possibly masking the finer detail that for me makes the listening experience. Adding the regs has made it fuller bodied and more organic. For me a much more pleasant listening experience.

As the player was only £20 and I have spent about £30 on it, it is not bad at all.

I have done all the most popular mods in addition to the regs (by-passing HDAMs, up-grading PS caps, removing muting transistors, adding by-pass caps to various parts of the DAC chip, grounding the crystal, and other bits and pieces)

So my comment regarding the regs should be read in this context.

Prior to adding the regs I was of the opinion that the '63 was a rather forward sounding player and that this was possibly masking the finer detail that for me makes the listening experience. Adding the regs has made it fuller bodied and more organic. For me a much more pleasant listening experience.

As the player was only £20 and I have spent about £30 on it, it is not bad at all.

Sounds good to me.And to have done it for 50 quid is a bonus. Think I'm up to about £200 all in. My CD67 is a bit harsh at present. Have done much the same mods to it as you have to your CD63 except I've added a Kwak clock. Sounds much better than it used to but can't seem to listen to it for long.

I'm in the process of building my regs and having read your experiences I can't wait to hear the results.

Are you going to do the co-ax mods?