Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Got it sorted. Took the board out (again!!!!) and checked continuity on the L channel. Was getting signal and grd!? Turns out that when I removed the bridges I put in after removing the muting transistors, there was a minute solder bridge! Cleared that and all is well. A very sweet sounding player.

Next job is to upgrade some voltage regs.

Got it sorted. Took the board out (again!!!!) and checked continuity on the L channel. Was getting signal and grd!? Turns out that when I removed the bridges I put in after removing the muting transistors, there was a minute solder bridge! Cleared that and all is well. A very sweet sounding player.

Next job is to upgrade some voltage regs.

Good to hear it's playing without problems now :)

Ray

I forgot to say that I picked the 63 up at an audiojumble last Sunday for £20. No remote, and the case lid was scratched to buggery (what do people do with their stuff!?)
I was told it was in fact working. I never even listened to it as standard and just pulled the board out and got to work.

I have a universal remote whih shows Marantz codes as 7008, 7018 and 7021. None of them work with it. I an only assume that the sensor is shagged.

Rob.

I removed my switch to make room for big smoothers.

I just got home to find my Tentlabs oscillators waiting for me! I know what I'm going to be doing this weekend. I've got to read up on this buffered output malarkey, as I've got no idea what that means...

Hey Brent, I had the NX there before and it was skipping, so I replaced it with a 47uF FK and the skipping seemed to go away... then I put it back and got the skipping again... hence my conclusion. I'm powering the chip with a LM317 reg I built myself - perhaps it's the fault of the reg? I do have another transport I can try, and a new laser ready to fit if I can only get hold of the right kind of screwdriver.

Edit: I'm a bit hesitant to move forward with the clocks, what with the skipping, mains humming and no display for debugging... :-/

Last edited:
Hi Ben,

Great, finally some XO's to tinker with :).

The skipping can be caused by the combo cap + reg. If the impedance of the cap at the output of the regulator is too low (too low ESR), it may oscillate. Normally, there's a 4.7 ohm series resistor or inductor in the supply line, that provides damping.

So depending on the type of reg and the cap, the results may vary. Bigger caps are not always better. Read here.

Ray

I fitted my DAC clock. It worked first time. It sounds wonderful! The difference is immediately obvious, even from cold. Thanks Ray and Brent for making this amazing mod accessible to lazy newbies like me! :)

395332_10150529565621890_612711889_9047684_672649846_n.jpg