Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

I fitted two of my shiny 5v 317 regs on the analogue pins of my DAC this evening, with really great results. The analogue pins were a bit tricker to do than the digital ones because I had to remove some caps to get at those undocumented wire bridges. That's why I chose to do the analogue first, even though I know the digital probably needs it most. I can't play loud because it's late, but everything seems to sound clearer as far as I can tell so far. Unfortunately, my display/button ribbon has finally decided to start being temperamental. It took me about 15 minutes of coaxing to get it to work again. It's threatening to make routine removal of the board a bit miserable from now on unless I can fix it somehow.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, it's very quiet in here.

I'm still really enjoying the benefits of adding new regulators to the analogue supply of my DAC chip. It sounds much cleaner, smoother and more detailed. Stereo imaging seems much better too. I can't imagine what performance you guys with loads of SPowers must get. I'm thinking of building a few more of these regs and fitting them to all the 5v chip supplies. Thanks Martin Clark, NAD, Ray and everyone else who helped out with that one - much harder than simply swapping caps, but seriously worth it.

I'd love to hear how people are getting on with their new DOS builds. It's quiet so it must be good. I have my PCB and Black Gates in the bank, but I think it's going to be a while before I get to start on mine.

Cheers,

Ben

Hi Guys,

I was wonder ing if Ray 6h5c was on line. I had been promising a schematic for a clock for the 63 and wanted him to take a look at it for me and give his opinion and maybe run a couple of simulations.

Does anybody know what format and file size I have to use to get a copy of the schematic put up on this post ??????????

Any ideas.... .jpg, .gif or what ?

Cheers gents

The original version of the DOS was very very good especially with a good PSU and regs. I'm also building mine up with Mica and styrene caps on the filter section. I've used mica caps in filters before with excellent results. I've gone for rc55y resistors in the end. Hopefully it'll be better. If not, I also got one of the last original DOS boards to play with ;-)

I listened some more last night and simply could not listen to it. So I brought it into work today for a play.

Firstly I messed around with the CCS by altering the current. I ranged it from 3.5mA up to 15mA and the sound character never really changed. I had to try different fets to get the more extreme mA. In the end I decided to remove the CCS and fit a 1K8 0.1% RC55Y from my old DOS. Straight away the whole spectrum of sound changed, more fluid, deeper and rhythmic bass, no peaks in the upper mids (around piano keys etc). Pretty much as it used to be.

I'll test this over the weekend properly and will be able to hear what the CFP is doing over my old dos.

I will add a note to say I have not come to my final conclusion yet but if anyone has bought or is thinking of buying this new dos pcb do so. It is still a cracking design and it is easy to alter if need be. Much easier to alter than the early pcbs.

Brent

Last edited:
mmm interesting! Thats really useful info. With the level your system is at, it should pretty much be the pinnacle for fine tuning :D

I must admit on the CD94, I found a simple resistor in place of the original CCS circuit on the dac out (setting dc offset to nil) to be much better but didn't actually realise thats what it was (was a while ago now).

All my parts are ordered now, the PSU is ready so I just need the bits. I'll just skip straight t the 1k8 then poss swap after to CCS and see if I get the same as you. I'm using RC55Y resistors throughout, mica for the 1500pf and styrene for the 4700pf. I've also found some better coils which I think are similar to yours Brent. They state that they are for audio filter use as opposed to the generic panasonic part no in the list

I think i'd also like to try these caps in the filter........

Amtrans film caps

I'd also love to hear those Z-Foil resistors in the filter but at £8 each from Canada, that's pretty expensive!!! :eek::eek:

My original plan was to use both, then takman for the remaining resistors. I wanted to build this with absolutely no compromises. Unfortunately, I fell fowl to the Paypal and eBay (buyer can do no wrong) system and lost both a High end Cisco router I sold, the monies paid and due to the lengthy process of resolution, also the possibility of claiming on the transit insurance I purchased. The sneaky bstards didn't tell me they'd settled the dispute in the buyers favour, they didn't even acknowledge my extensive documentation I sent them, they just waited until I used paypal to pay for CD for £7.99 and debited my account for £260 odd! needless to say I was fuming and to top it all, that was the money to pay for the parts on the DOS. 

I'll never ever use paypal again and I'll only use eBay if I can finish the trans action so that they don't get the commission. They have created a buyer protection policy that just enables buyers to commit fraud. Nearly 500 pos feedback is worth nothing when you have a problem!!!

Anyway, should you go down the Amtrans & Z-foil route (hificollective also sell both in the UK but are more expensive) I'd be very interested in the differences. I know that those Z-foils have been used in the I/V stage on TDA1541 by several people. I'd never heard of those amtrans before but as you say they look interesting!!!!!

Not sure what values were used in the picture that's on Rays site. I believe this is Steve's board. Not sure what player its for. I wonder how much difference it would make to the filter or if the cap value could be changed to compensate for a 2k2??

DOS_CFP_Steve_2.jpg

That's the older none cfp board

Brent
Filter should be the same tho!! The SA8400 diagram show both resistors as 2k7.

I've got three free evenings lined up, and I should be able to get to the electronics shop today. I'm trying to figure out what worthwhile mods I might be able to do with standard bits.

Keep separating the PSU's with good quality regulators ;)

Not sure what values were used in the picture that's on Rays site. I believe this is Steve's board. Not sure what player its for. I wonder how much difference it would make to the filter or if the cap value could be changed to compensate for a 2k2??

DOS_CFP_Steve_2.jpg

Hello,
I thought I recognized my board. It's a cfp board, btw. I use it in one of my 8260 players, nearly identical to the 8400. The filter resistors are 2k87. I got them direct from Texas Components. They will make any value resistor that you like, and send them anywhere you live. The resistors I got were just under $7 each.
BTW, the next version of the board looks a bit different, though the filter section is the same.

Last edited: