Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

There's some genuine big earthy detail coming off the piano on Diana Krall now, Steve's gonna be a happy man...!

Any issues with the sound on this player are v slight now and would almost certainly disappear with a couple of low noise regs and better output stage, plus the servo re-clock... it never ends really.

I've heard big gains are to be had re-clocking the servo on a 63. Is there a clock hack similar to the DAC chip one, (Did that one with good results), or is a 1/2 frequency board the way to go. :spin:

Steve

Just done a couple more tweaks on Steve's CD63, partly for my own amusement.

I changed C505 to a 2200pF polystyrene (HF signal runs through this), as well as C601-C602 filter caps to ps. I also put a slightly better cap on C814 (-10V).
Simon

There is one I still have to do. ;)

Simon while you are doing tweaks for your own amusement, here is something you might want to try, would like to hear what you think.

I've moved the audio star ground from the 'old' output connector position to the almost already star point between C611 to C614 (closer to DAC and op-amps). Just clean the tracks and connect together to create a common point. From there I run a link directly to C803, C804 0V point and also one to C815 0V (digital star ground). Remove link U215 and U226. I've installed new RCA connectors wired directly to this audio star ground and op-amp outputs (via resistors if used).

I've also disconnected all links to the top layer screen, it is only connected at the 'old' star ground at the OP connector but that take quite a lot of effort to make sure all 0V's are connected.

André

Hello André,

I use the top screen for my regulators and some extra pre-reg-caps, so I can't disconnect that one. I'm not sure I want the hassle of dismantling Steve's player again - it has an extra TX so there are now 5 wires to de-solder every time.

I might do this exactly as you say (bar the top screen disconnection) on another CD63 I'm tweaking though.

I guess from your taking the trouble to mention it, it worked for you, so I am very interested.

Thanks,
Simon

Hi there,
There's Ray written in my player now!

Few times ago we said that analog stage can be left for the end...
It's not the end (many regs to come) but it's sooo good, even if it needs some burn-in (how many hours to your xp guys?).

Regards,
Matthieu

Attachments

• DSC00256.jpg
    DSC00256.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 189
As for the servo supply, in a CD63 the servo voltages are unregulated, so serious gains can be made here. In a CD67, the supply is regulated with a 7805.
My CD transport use for servo (for TCA0372 ) +/-9V rail from LM317/337 (the simpliest version without diodes).

Most of the standard regulators have fairly good load regulation (only 2...15mV voltage change for full load ON/OFF) and should be able to deal with the PWM driven motor current. The step response is improved drastically by adding a few uF of output capacity, so the 100uF or more in the player should provide plenty buffering.

I can imagine that in some cases the regulator can become unstable with large output caps, I have seen this several times now with the new ONSemi regulators (MC78xxCT series), the ones with the thin metal tab on the housing. An output cap over 100/220uF will make these things oscillate for sure. I have stopped using them and use the ones from ST or NSC now. In the race for smaller and smaller output caps they probably changed the circuit..
So, you are using ST/NSC 78XX regulators for servo...

I never tried a passive supply based on a choke here, but it has the advantage that it is a very effective barrier for noise, and won't go berserk with large output caps. You should make sure that the output impedance is low enough when using a passive circuit (something that can be easily realized by feedback) or the cure may be worse than the problem.

Regards,

Ray

If I find some free time next week I will simulate few supplies and post the results.

Regards,
Alex

Hi Mat, what caps are those of DOS? Huge+++.

Hi Quan,
it's a sandwich of a standard MKP 6.8µF, a K40Y-9 0.47µF russian cap and a FT-1 0.022µF Téflon cap. That may not be the best* but it's what I have in hand. If/when I'll built a CD-40 the winner will be tested with these combo and with Obbligato.
And that's not big, I was thinking of fitting K75-10 10µF first...

Regards,
Matthieu

*find the sound a bit mushy in the low mids and a bit digital on femal voices, maybe because it's not burnt-in, the caps combo, no dedicated 5V regs but the factory one, or even the CD-63 sound...

Hi Ray,

just some 317/337! Simple, cute... and free :D

Matthieu

Those must be the NSC samples then :D

My CD transport use for servo (for TCA0372 ) +/-9V rail from LM317/337 (the simpliest version without diodes).

So, you are using ST/NSC 78XX regulators for servo...

If I find some free time next week I will simulate few supplies and post the results.

Regards,
Alex

I've used both 7808/7908, 7809/7909 and LM317/337. All work well as far as I can tell. It depends a bit on what I have in stock when a player comes along :D. I hope the choke version can supply enough current, as the motor's startup peaks are quite high. Looking forward to see your results!

Ray

Last edited:
Tried adding decoder regs... Ended up with a disc motor which spins like mad upon power on. It continues endlessly, and service mode gives 'Error 13, spindle error'. The motor also spins like mad without a disc in it, even with the tray open.

I might have burned C505 with clumsy soldering, but could this be the problem? I've now put back the original resistors R508 and R511 where I had put the regs, but the problems persists.

Any ideas?

Last edited: