Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

6h5c said:
Hey Jaap, how's things? You are (still) very busy looking at your pictures :). Are you working on a fancy PSU for the output stage? Nice work :yes:.

You are right about the trannys. That's why I use an PCB tranny for The Flea.

Regards,

Ray

Hi Ray, still busy making progress :)

I was working on a Low Noise reg for the Discrete Output when I came across the Jung Regulator (AKA ALW-reg) and wondered if it would be beneficial for the analogue part of CD63. Has anyone measured S/N ratio after removal of the mute circuit? Would an Ultra Low Noise / Ultra Low Impedance PSU make a noticeable difference to the overall reproduction quality of this player or would the present amount of noise disappear behind greater shortcomings? In my experience less noise gives less harsh highs.

Good job on that digital-analogue converter board. Is there news on the availability of half assembled units? My eyes are not good enough for the small components used but I would certainly be interested in a prefab board.

The balanced mains is a great success. Me and three mates are enjoying clean mains every day now. Still have to include a circuitbreaker, in the form of a Solid State Relais, powered by one of those cute PCB trannies.

Hi Simon.

The player is still burning in at the moment. I used the player before with invisus regs and a LM6171/ad825 combo in the output stage, the Zapfilter does sound a lot better but it seems to be a little over clinical at the moment. I'll have to wait and see how it settles down.
Another thing is I have just got some new speakers that also need to be run in so it's a combination of everything.

Cheers,
Mags.

P.S. They are both Audiocom Superclock 3's.

Re: Re: Re: Another CD63KI

Mags said:

Hi Simon.

Yep there's 9 invisus regs in there, I managed to get them very cheap though :D

It's sounding very very nice but a bit dry and over clinical, it's still burning in at the moment though. I'm not to sure the Zapfilter is the way to go yet so I'll probably try one of Ray's discrete output stages later on.

Glenn, what filter did you end up using before the zapfilter? Also what sort of offset do you get from the zapfilter? I had over 200mv on the left channel before I installed 1k resistors over the original 100r's in the current mirrors. Here's a pic of were to add the new resistors, the ones circled in yellow.

Cheers,
Mags.

the cd63/67 are voltage output dac's
blob 2,4,6

allan

seroxatmad said:
So would you say the KI version wasted the money on a round transformer? Did it actually add anything to the sound quality? i.e less vibration? Better regulation? Less noise out of its secondaries?

John
I did use a Block tx, and it got so hot that you couldn't touch the thing. It melted the adhesive on the mounting brackets and fell-off.
Lee.
Hi John / Lee,

This question covers it all I guess:

Q: what properties of the trannie may be reason to (audiable) shortcomings?

A1: current capacity. Not enough current available slows down the loading of the reservoir cap. That's the first cap after the rectifier bridge. Enhancing capacitor values and inserting power regulators present a bigger load to the power supply (=more current running) what asks for a more powerful trannie to fill up the reservoir cap swiftly after a sudden current demand.

A2: impedance. Units for higher current hold normally less impedance because of the thicker wire used. Less impedance makes current 'travel faster' to the consumers and would be beneficial to dynamic headroom. On the other hand, less impedance in combination with a bigger reservoir cap changes the way the PSU ringing is dampened. Effects vary from case tot case and must be studied with a scoop.

A3: parasitic capacitance. Toroids show much broader bandwith than stacked core units. As a result toroids pass more 'mains inserted pollution' than old style units.

A4: core saturation. Toroids have an even magnetising characteristic what is a good property. When the trannie is loaded to the edge _what might be the case with the stock unit after beefing up cap values_ it starts to behave distorted. Toroids show more rapid decline of the magnetising curve than old style transformers and should be kept far from using to the max power.

A5: regulation. The change in output voltage to desired voltage after a change of the load. Bigger trannies show better regulation. It must be noted that a certain load has to be presented to the transformer to obtain optimal regulation. See the two metal oxid resistors I for that reason put on my big PSU for a small load :)

Jaap
i found a nice little filter for the discrete output stage.
for use after LM317/337/..78/79's

allan

Attachments

• linsley-hood.jpg
    linsley-hood.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 318
Re: Another CD63KI

Mags said:
Hi.

Here's a couple of pic's of my new toy. Still a bit to do as most things are held down with Blu-Tac and I'm going to sort out the wiring.

Cheers,
Mags.
Close fit Mags, only for the brave-of-heart.;)
Cutting the PCB on the left of the original tranny makes it possible to bolt down the extra tranny to the bottom of the chassis. You need weight to absorp the resonances.
Black Gate N(X) are quality caps with very good HF properties. Because of the high price advised to apply only where useful (they make great coupling caps too). Give 'm ample time to brake loose, specially on mA currents they take a long time before coming to live.

Re: Re: Another CD63KI

disco said:

Close fit Mags, only for the brave-of-heart.;)
Cutting the PCB on the left of the original tranny makes it possible to bolt down the extra tranny to the bottom of the chassis. You need weight to absorp the resonances.
Black Gate N(X) are quality caps with very good HF properties. Because of the high price advised to apply only where useful (they make great coupling caps too). Give 'm ample time to brake loose, specially on mA currents they take a long time before coming to live.

Hi Disco.

You read my mind! I didn't want to start hacking up the PCB until I am sure everything is how I want it. Once I'm satisfied with the set up I will chop that part of the PCB off and I will also have to cut the chassis a bit (PCB mount). Everything at the moment is experimental and I will finalise all the mountings soon :smash:

Cheers,
Mags.

Re: Re: Re: Another CD63KI

Mags said:
It's sounding very very nice but a bit dry and over clinical, it's still burning in at the moment though. I'm not to sure the Zapfilter is the way to go yet so I'll probably try one of Ray's discrete output stages later on.

Yes, let it burn! It changes quite a bit. Also sounds like you have changed many things at once.

Mags said:
Glenn, what filter did you end up using before the zapfilter? Also what sort of offset do you get from the zapfilter? I had over 200mv on the left channel before I installed 1k resistors over the original 100r's in the current mirrors. Here's a pic of were to add the new resistors, the ones circled in yellow.

Cheers,
Mags.

No offset. Well it starts at around 50mV and the DC servo quickly drags it down and it hovers at +/-1mV.

Filter - I started with the 10k->120p->10k->120p//27k that was already there. With the op-amp gone, you have to ground the o/p pin of where diff amp was. This makes the circuit symmetrical. Remember the 2nd op-amp was inverting, so what went to -ve input of first goes to positive input of Zapfilter.

Attachments

• zap3.jpg
    zap3.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 348
seroxatmad said:
P.P.S - How can anyone not like these sexy beauties...keep them on show like I did. John

It's a man's man's world :devilr:

The T55 is a 50VA transformer and uses two static screens, giving 9-0-9 @ 3A. I'd prefer this one for any task it's up to above the 100VA Toroid which I rewound 5,8-0-5,8 and 5,8-0-5,8 @ 4A each. The last picture goes to show how sexy block transformers can get.
Black is beautiful man :D

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

disco said:

It's a man's man's world :devilr:

The T55 is a 50VA transformer and uses two static screens, giving 9-0-9 @ 3A. I'd prefer this one for any task it's up to above the 100VA Toroid which I rewound 5,8-0-5,8 and 5,8-0-5,8 @ 4A each. The last picture goes to show how sexy block transformers can get.
Black is beautiful man :D

A bit overkill on the vibration damping for the top cover? :)

allan

Ps If your a naturalist you could use a bag of sand on the top cover.

Mags said:
Hi Glenn.

Cheers for that,. At the moment I have it set up how you done it first time round. I'll give the other filter a try once everything's settled down.

Mags.

A word of warning - my inductors pick up hum! It's negligible now but I had to mount them underside of PCB and I think orientation was crucial to so hum is common mode.

I'd say let it settle down and only tweak if you're unhappy. The funny resistor values are because I used Welwyns, by the way.

One of the strange differences after installing the Zapfilter is that when I play music late at night at low levels, it still has enormous impact and detail. You don't have to play loud to really feel the music. Odd!