Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Yes, I remember you Simon ;)

A battery is not a bad idea, but a low noise reg will have lower output impedance and much lower noise I think. There are some esoteric products sold using batteries (e.g. high end phono preamps) so they must do something well. I'd take a guess that what they do is let you have good power supplies for reasonable outlay. For ultimate supplies I think you need the mains, and more money.

Simon

http://cgi.ebay.fr/Lecteur-CD-53-MA...ryZ67802QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
084c_2.JPG

I think Champagner sounds better :)

Wish you hadn't done that Brent.............

I spent til 2.30 am last night getting correct voltages on 5v Rayregs and +/- SuperRayregs !

Now you've revealed more of your Doncaster Black Magic (no pun intended;) ) and I'm thinking I should redo the regs like yours.

I'm getting withdrawal symptoms so I think I'll bang em in anyway as is.

That way I can listen while I sort regs like yours. You've sorted the rails properly and grounding as well, so maybe star earthing should be next, then rest of BG's, then coax mods and even better regs last after the discrete output. Oh, and the Kwak clock is next after the Rayregs.

Should be done by Christmas 2009!!!!!!!!:nod:

Hi Marcus

If you search on this thread for reg or regulator there are over 400 refs!!!

Ray has schematics on his site here http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/ra.vdsteen/index_en.html

Also good info on using regs here courtesy of Martin Clark
http://www.acoustica.org.uk

I am just building regs at the moment and for simplicity am using the Rayregs for the 5v feeds around the dac and decoder and the Superrayregs for the +/- 12v to the opamps.

The SPower regs that Brent sells seem to be the dogs but that depends whether you want good performance cheaply or superb performance at a price!

JIM

Great thread guys. I've followed instructions for some of the mods but must have been careless, because my Marantz 63 can't work now.

The lens goes up and down, and the laser sled can still move forward and backward in service mode. But, mostly the service mode shows a radial error. the disc doesn't spin at all.

I've tried replacing the lens, but it doesn't help.

I've done a search and checked,

1. power supply lines - the various supplies like 10v, 5v, +-12v are all OK.

2. soldering - looked for cold joints and splashes.

Do you think the problem is with the servo chip ? Or maybe the clock ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ray,

The c1 are tantulums right? 10uf/16v?

AM I right to say that I should a total of 2 x lm317 and 1 x lm337.

1 x lm317 will be used for Q801 and 1 x lm337 for Q802.

The remaining lm317 will be use on the DAC section
(quoted from your pdf mod list, "Insert new 5V voltage regulators (LM317 based) for analog and digital VDD pins of DAC and clock circuit.")

Can I check where is the analog and digital VDD pins of the DAC and clock circuit?

watchdog777 said:
Great thread guys. I've followed instructions for some of the mods but must have been careless, because my Marantz 63 can't work now.

The lens goes up and down, and the laser sled can still move forward and backward in service mode. But, mostly the service mode shows a radial error. the disc doesn't spin at all.

I've tried replacing the lens, but it doesn't help.

I've done a search and checked,

1. power supply lines - the various supplies like 10v, 5v, +-12v are all OK.

2. soldering - looked for cold joints and splashes.

Do you think the problem is with the servo chip ? Or maybe the clock ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi

What mods have you just done?
Does the disc spin etc?

Brent

Hi Brent

I'm going to install the regs tonight.

SuperRayregs (with the gyrators) for the opamps and the basic 5v Rayregs for the DAC etc.

As I'm still using the stock power supply do you think it's worth building a SuperRayreg set to, say, 9v to feed all the 5v regs to ensure a quieter supply or is there a better way of doing the same thing?

Rgds

Jim

Ps just joking the other day about you posting the new mods!!