Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

and new psu

Attachments

• independent psu.jpg
    independent psu.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 338
marcusdeming said:
Hi guys,

its been quite a few months since my last mod. I think i have sort of completed all thats available on Ray's list.

I am thinking of doing some mods to it to further unleash the potential of this player. What would u guys suggest, since i have a bit of time now.

Rgds,
Marcus

Then it's time to move on to Brent's list. Tell us what's not good about the sound and we can tell you what to upgrade.

Malefoda said:
Good clock & its PSU!

Anyone using this as their main source needs a serious clock and serious psu. Anything less is a false economy.

Chivvyp said:
I can recommend a Charlize t-amp. only 100 usd from DIY paradise. Sounds great with my cd67.

Regards
Pete

But he already bought an amp! ;)

Simon

marantz 67 mod

Hi guys, i replace all diode with Hexfred, follow the mod list as per Ray pdf but the left chanel has no sound, at CF01-i used inductor from Jaycar- 150mH/4.2R whereas all other position are 470mH/2.5R-would this cause theproblem?
or should i undo all the soldering and start again? Any hints would be appreciated. Thanks. Quan

Re: marantz 67 mod

quan said:
Hi guys, i replace all diode with Hexfred, follow the mod list as per Ray pdf but the left chanel has no sound, at CF01-i used inductor from Jaycar- 150mH/4.2R whereas all other position are 470mH/2.5R-would this cause theproblem?
or should i undo all the soldering and start again? Any hints would be appreciated. Thanks. Quan

Does the other channel sound ok? Is there any DC on the output or anything suspicious like that on either channel?

If one side works but the other doesn't it's probably quite a simple problem to solve (relatively). If you can touch a wire (connected to the interconnect feeding your amp) to the output pin of the op-amp, whilst music is playing, you will eliminate some parts of the circtuit from blame. If you hear the music then you must have an open circuit somewhere between the op-amp and the output socket. This should be easy to fix.

If you get no joy from this it's probably an op-amp leg not soldered in properly. Check the op-amp power supply pins for voltage (+12v and -12v: i think it's pins 4 and 8 but please check).

Simon

quan said:
Hi Simon, how do i measure Dc offset?, the op-amp is LM4652-which pin do i measure for the ouput? Quan.

To measure DC you put your multimeter black on the ground of the output socket and red into the middle. Set your meter to read DC volts, turn the player on and read off the figure. If it reads in whole volts rather than millivolts you have a problem. But this does also completely depend on whether or not you removed the DC blocking caps!

I believe you need pin 7 for output of the op-amp. Whatever you do don't short it out to pin 8. There will be a resistor or wire link that you can take this signal from, to avoid risking shorting anything on the op-amp itself. Can anyone help us here by remembering what resistor that is?

If the digital output is ok your problem should be easy enough to fix. (says he who pulls his hair out for days and weeks when it stops working...)

Simon

aquar said:
Hi Ray,
3 days ago I fitted +12V/-12V Raygulator on small pcb with independent new PSU (1Amp 12 VAC....= 12VA ???).
The regs inject to op amp via R651/R653, ground from regs going to star gnd (output RCA) via C653/654 and ground from psu wired to C801/C802.

Before fitted, I have checked output regs and got +11.96V and -11.68V, but after sitted in the CDP I got ((+9.69 V), (-11.67V), standby mode) and ((+9.60V), (-11.67V), running mode), what happened??....(raw DC supply from new psu (+16.10VDC), (-15.96VDC)

After 10 hours 'break in' I have noted that sound more open, more smooth and more dinamic especially in the mid range area also more deep and weight bass but I don't yet satisfy with bass resolution, I need more. What can I do?, replace dioda with fast recovery ? (1N4937), release snubber circuit?,bypass caps tank in the new PSU? or replace + regs?, others?

Note: PSU with 2xBG 1000uF/35V, dioda (1N4007) and snubber.

Regards
aquar

Hi

A strange result! It is unlikely to be around the opamps as they seem to be working.
Recheck the regulator output and wiring - there may be a partial short.

Andy
PS where do you live? I lived in Balikpapan for several years.

Re: marantz 67 mods

quan said:
Hi Simon, the right chanel showed 12V- ?analogue circuit problem -How do i trace the problem? Just another question ,how soon can i start working on cd player after switch off?you know those nasty shock?no chance taken. Quan.:confused:

I would suggest the right opamp is missing its -12V if there is +12v on the output (or vice versa).

Brent

marantz 67 mod

Thanks Brent/Simon-it's kind of getting late down under-i will definitely check the right op-amp socket solder pad tomorrow and will let you guys know it goes. This is my first diy kind of stuff-it is addictive-although +++head ache, and iam waiting for Marantz 63 delivery in the next day or two as the next project. Quan

rowemeister said:
Lets hope not :att'n: or if so lets hope the opamp is ok.

Brent

I wonder if the headphone amp is still in circuit in this player?

If the 12V is getting into the output of the filter op-amp via a short, the h/p amp input coupling caps will stop it getting to the h/p op-amp and thus the jack.

If the -12V supply is not there, there will probably be massive offset on the h/p jack too as they run off the same supply.

Might reveal something. Don't plug phones in though, 12V won't do them any good.:D

aquar said:
Before fitted, I have checked output regs and got +11.96V and -11.68V, but after sitted in the CDP I got ((+9.69 V), (-11.67V), standby mode) and ((+9.60V), (-11.67V), running mode), what happened??....(raw DC supply from new psu (+16.10VDC), (-15.96VDC)

Regards
aquar

Hi Aquar,

Could be something's wrong with your wiring, since the reg works o.k. before fitting. Like Andy says, check the wiring and solder joints.
Second option could be there's something wrong with the transistor and cap-multiplier at the input of the LM317. If the transistor somehow doesn't get enough base current, the voltage will drop. Check the voltage at the input of the 317, it should be >14V.

Ray