Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

From Post 18158, This is the Jumper

Well it's a stock 67SE, this is my 1st attempt at modding a CD player, my domain is usually decks. The only thing I've done so far is to change the power chord with a screen Isotek Elite lead. I'll be dampening the chasis & strut bar with some bitumin pad is I get chance next week. So just to recap

U216/217 out
R617/618 - FORGET ABOUT
R651/2/3/4 - I'll take these out!
C655/6/7/8 - out (the slimlic caps)

I've just got one question and again forgive me for seeming a little slow. I've added a Schematic graphic on this reply. The red crosses are the components which I'm gonna remove for the HDAM bypass, but can you check that I'm linking the output of the opamp stage directly to the player out. So, on R216 I'll be soldering a small piece of silver wire (teflon coated) from the posterior most hole in R216 to the leftmost hole where C658 used to sit for right channel output, and from R217 I'll be soldering another silver wire from the posterior most hole of U217 to the leftmost hole of C657 for left channel output. I hope this makes sense.

I'm hoping to also looking into disabling the headphone circuit (removing C901/902 & U139/140) and also disabling headphone muting circuit by removing QN05-QN08, QN25/25/91/92 and RN27/28. These are mods as detailed in the PDF by R.A. van der Steen. I was looking at doing several mods at once whilst I had the PCB dismantled.

Attachments

• hdam bypass.jpg
    hdam bypass.jpg
    586.7 KB · Views: 250
modding CD63SE

I have just completed most of the modding work for my friend's CD63SE :D
The next thing I will do is to change the clocks for the servo and the DAC by Ray's 2 fleas that I bought from him some time ago.
Eventhough without changing the clocks at the moment the SQ from this player is already very very GOOD :):p

Attachments

• CD63SE.jpg
    CD63SE.jpg
    791 KB · Views: 249
Nice work, higlander! I wish mine was that neat.

What 12v regs are you using? They look nice and small.

I've got to start thinking about taking another look at my DOS at some point.

Hi Ben|: I used +15 and -15V regulators instead of 12V as most opamps run better at 15V.
The regulators are from Korea with quite good specifications:
ULN-HC78A Ultra Low Noise Positive Regulator 2.5V~30V Output High Current Type | eBay
IMHO they are value for the money regulators and can perform very well.

For the discrete opamps I used Burson as they occupy less space.

I have just completed most of the modding work for my friend's CD63SE :D
The next thing I will do is to change the clocks for the servo and the DAC by Ray's 2 fleas that I bought from him some time ago.
Eventhough without changing the clocks at the moment the SQ from this player is already very very GOOD :):p

hi highlander

i want to ask about your output opamp

- do you still use this schema for output opamp ?
- where do you solder the output, direct to RCA out ?
- or goes before resistor ?
- Can you give me detailed picture ?

Best regards

Attachments

• opamp.jpg
    opamp.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 204
hi highlander

Best regards

No, I did not try it. With the dual opamps the output to RCA is via a 3.3uF blocking cap and then with a 47R in series.

hi highlander

Best regards

There is a problem with the circuit you have posted. The output will be inverted which is one of the reasons for using the 2nd Opamp.

Do as you have done here but take the output from after the 2nd Opamp. The DC value should be almost at this output (but check with a meter on mV scale). Anything less than about 25mV and you don't need the DC blocking cap. The best cap is no cap ;)

I think you've already bypassed the HDAM and muting from what I've seen in a previous post.