Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list
Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th August 2007, 12:43 PM   #7511
Mags is offline Mags  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Another CD63KI

Quote:
Originally posted by disco

Close fit Mags, only for the brave-of-heart.
Cutting the PCB on the left of the original tranny makes it possible to bolt down the extra tranny to the bottom of the chassis. You need weight to absorp the resonances.
Black Gate N(X) are quality caps with very good HF properties. Because of the high price advised to apply only where useful (they make great coupling caps too). Give 'm ample time to brake loose, specially on mA currents they take a long time before coming to live.
Hi Disco.

You read my mind! I didn't want to start hacking up the PCB until I am sure everything is how I want it. Once I'm satisfied with the set up I will chop that part of the PCB off and I will also have to cut the chassis a bit (PCB mount). Everything at the moment is experimental and I will finalise all the mountings soon

Cheers,
Mags.
Old 29th August 2007, 12:45 PM   #7512
awpagan is offline awpagan  Australia
diyAudio Member

Jaap
has been a while..

This might be better
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...06#post1287706

or send me a an email and i'll attach the original.
Have been trying to reduce the size, no luck so far..

I use it with the passive/buffer and standard supplies.

allan
Old 29th August 2007, 12:47 PM   #7513
Glenn2 is offline Glenn2  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Another CD63KI

Quote:
Originally posted by Mags
It's sounding very very nice but a bit dry and over clinical, it's still burning in at the moment though. I'm not to sure the Zapfilter is the way to go yet so I'll probably try one of Ray's discrete output stages later on.
Yes, let it burn! It changes quite a bit. Also sounds like you have changed many things at once.

Quote:
Glenn, what filter did you end up using before the zapfilter? Also what sort of offset do you get from the zapfilter? I had over 200mv on the left channel before I installed 1k resistors over the original 100r's in the current mirrors. Here's a pic of were to add the new resistors, the ones circled in yellow.

Cheers,
Mags.
No offset. Well it starts at around 50mV and the DC servo quickly drags it down and it hovers at +/-1mV.

Filter - I started with the 10k->120p->10k->120p//27k that was already there. With the op-amp gone, you have to ground the o/p pin of where diff amp was. This makes the circuit symmetrical. Remember the 2nd op-amp was inverting, so what went to -ve input of first goes to positive input of Zapfilter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zap3.jpg (25.8 KB, 323 views)
Old 29th August 2007, 12:49 PM   #7514
diyAudio Member

Then I changed the 27k to 68k to bring it up to 2V RMS.
Then I switched to this to give better out-of-band rejection (note that CL1 and RL1 are just to simulate the inductor).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zap2.jpg (24.3 KB, 314 views)
Old 29th August 2007, 12:53 PM   #7515
diyAudio Member

So the vacant op-amp pins 1,2,3 are GND, +VE, -VE to Zapfilter.
Old 29th August 2007, 01:26 PM   #7516
disco is offline disco  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by seroxatmad
P.P.S - How can anyone not like these sexy beauties...keep them on show like I did. John
It's a man's man's world

The T55 is a 50VA transformer and uses two static screens, giving 9-0-9 @ 3A. I'd prefer this one for any task it's up to above the 100VA Toroid which I rewound 5,8-0-5,8 and 5,8-0-5,8 @ 4A each. The last picture goes to show how sexy block transformers can get.
Black is beautiful man

An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.
Old 29th August 2007, 01:45 PM   #7517
awpagan is offline awpagan  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by disco

It's a man's man's world

The T55 is a 50VA transformer and uses two static screens, giving 9-0-9 @ 3A. I'd prefer this one for any task it's up to above the 100VA Toroid which I rewound 5,8-0-5,8 and 5,8-0-5,8 @ 4A each. The last picture goes to show how sexy block transformers can get.
Black is beautiful man

A bit overkill on the vibration damping for the top cover?

allan

Ps If your a naturalist you could use a bag of sand on the top cover.
Old 29th August 2007, 01:47 PM   #7518
Mags is offline Mags  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Glenn.

Cheers for that,. At the moment I have it set up how you done it first time round. I'll give the other filter a try once everything's settled down.

Mags.
Old 29th August 2007, 01:53 PM   #7519
disco is offline disco  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by awpagan
bit overkill on the vibration damping for the top cover
Overkill? The 700V it produces is lethal indeed

Could you locate the article you mentioned in the other post?
Old 29th August 2007, 01:57 PM   #7520
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Glenn.

Cheers for that,. At the moment I have it set up how you done it first time round. I'll give the other filter a try once everything's settled down.

Mags.

A word of warning - my inductors pick up hum! It's negligible now but I had to mount them underside of PCB and I think orientation was crucial to so hum is common mode.

I'd say let it settle down and only tweak if you're unhappy. The funny resistor values are because I used Welwyns, by the way.

One of the strange differences after installing the Zapfilter is that when I play music late at night at low levels, it still has enormous impact and detail. You don't have to play loud to really feel the music. Odd!

Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods listHide this!Advertise here!