Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Matthieu,

You have to use what works for you. Some people don't like boxed speakers, some people don't like open baffle speakers. Some people like class A amps, some people think class D is the way forward. Some like vinyl, some like modern upsampling DACs and PC audio and others like old TDA1541 players. Sometimes personal choice is what matters, not doing what others say.

I'll try and find you that schematic, which I did post on the CD650 thread. The D1 stage is pretty incredible in its musicality, just like the Pass amps I've heard.

Simon

ps - about your deaf question. Yes, to a point we could say you're deaf or hard of hearing if you are coming to conclusions based on listening with amps and speakers of insufficient resolution to reveal the character differences between a CD63 and old-school TDA1541 player. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. Many people find musical bliss more easily in lower resolution / mid-fi systems than with very expensive gear that can leave one cold.

Fortunately or not, I started this with my old 67', without really knowing where I was going or how. As I have invested a fair amount in this machine, since I am hopeless with this level of diy, I am kind of stuck with it

I was there about a 15 Months ago. All of the upgrades on the 67 are transferable into a 63 if you want to push this player further. Thats exactly what I did. I broken std 63 on ebay is about £20. I even built it all in the 67SE case as it has a bit more room and the SE cross brace. Just my 2 pence!
:cool:

Please help me! For my previous question you recommend me a servo clock for my CD63SE. I try to find this forum what is it, but don't found assessed info for me. Can anyone write me some info about servo clocking? Need stay the normal external master clock in my unit and to the side need a servo clock? have you some schematic where need connect?
Thanks for help, and sorry for bad english...

I have to be naive and trusting since I don't know sh.t! So far it's worked out, but it sure takes time. I wish I had the money I threw at hi fi gear years ago, and was never happy. I would sure know where to put it now! My relatively cheap cd only based system sounds so much better than the TT one I had years ago, which cost 10 times more. thanks in no small part to this thread and other forums.

Yes best is to find another clock, more simple. What is your current clock, in case it has onboard /2 ?

Similar to this, hungarian product, made about 12 years ago.
Work with original crystall, not to difficult, but works fine. I want use my CD63SE as CD transport with Behringer SRC2496.

Attachments

• anamaster2.2_540_106.jpg
    anamaster2.2_540_106.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 140
ps - about your deaf question. Yes, to a point we could say you're deaf or hard of hearing if you are coming to conclusions based on listening with amps and speakers of insufficient resolution to reveal the character differences between a CD63 and old-school TDA1541 player. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. Many people find musical bliss more easily in lower resolution / mid-fi systems than with very expensive gear that can leave one cold.

It's also cheaper!

Hi there,
after had an hear to the suddenly working again Arcam Alpha Plus, with my Grado via my friend's Sugden A28, I've found the mids and highs to be very nice, then jumped on my CD43... found them less fluid and unclear! It's driving me mad... then the CD40... something like the Arcam, better in that aspect! (TDA's sound?)...
So I wonder if a real clean 5V will do better than the 3x LM317 at the DAC, then checked room for a Super Reg and... can't see where my DAC Digital's cap is! Seems I've let him on the side of the road...
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/329/apresz.jpg

Q: is it better to dedicate the Super Reg to DAC analog or power the whole DAC with that super clean 5V? Black Gate are at the analog, Oscon may be well... at the missing cap :'(

Matthieu

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/329/apresz.jpg

Q: is it better to dedicate the Super Reg to DAC analog or power the whole DAC with that super clean 5V? Black Gate are at the analog, Oscon may be well... at the missing cap :'(

Matthieu

CD07 is the cap for the digital rail. Stick a oscon SEPC on that rail.I now feed the whole dac with a 5V SPower rather than just the analogue on our level 3. I found it adds more balance to the sound this way. U164 is the place to fit it.
Of course fitting a reg for every 5V on the Dac will improve the sound much more.

Also (without sounding like i'm trying to sell a SPower) 7805 and LM317 based regs just don't do the job properly, the sound is too sterile with grain and harshness to the top end.

You also need to change C813 for a very large uF low ESR cap, this makes a very big difference to the depth and fluidity of the music.

Brent

Hi Brent,
Sounds good! I've really forgotten to put that analog cap back (was ZL), my 317 is at CD07 and the cap should be at CD06 bypassed under. (will be OScon SP and 100n PPS). It's not decoupled at all! That may explain my "something wrong and dull" problem a bit.

So it's better to fit back the resistors at RD04 & RD01 to separate these good 5V? Why do the analog has no R?

Thanks,
Matthieu