Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Joined 2006
Paid Member
C1 Clock report

Gentlemen

As agrred, here my report after implementing the C1 clock on the dac:

Improved dynamics with noticeable silences.
Much better stereo image.
Stage depth and stability improvements.
Instrument placement better defined.
Instrument size "volume" recreating an holographic auditive picture.
Recording place echoes and reverbs well recreated (Laurie Anderson "Bright Red")
Much better instrument diferentiation and positioning in the soundstage.
Particular improvements in attack and decay.
Voice timbre and placement extraordinary improvements (Tori Amos)
Piano notes and reverb recreated with aplomb.

This mod completely transformed the player.

Now I believe that PDM signal must have a good clock to result.

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo,

That's great news. The clock is the 'heartbeat' of the player, so as you can hear a good stable clock has a lot of influence.

The regulators are getting hot because your input voltage is too high. An 18V tranny is too much if you want to make a regulated 12VDC. And, on top of that, you are using big 10.000uF caps that will boost the voltage even more.

How much VA is that tranny? If it is very big compared to the actual power it has to deliver, the 18V output voltage will be even higher, because the load is very small. The regulation of a 18VA tranny could be 20% typical, so that 18V~ will be more like 22V~ at small loads. I think if you measure the regulators' input voltage, you will see over 30V there.

Regards,

Ray

Joined 2006
Paid Member
6h5c said:
Hi Ricardo,

That's great news. The clock is the 'heartbeat' of the player, so as you can hear a good stable clock has a lot of influence.

The regulators are getting hot because your input voltage is too high. An 18V tranny is too much if you want to make a regulated 12VDC. And, on top of that, you are using big 10.000uF caps that will boost the voltage even more.

How much VA is that tranny? If it is very big compared to the actual power it has to deliver, the 18V output voltage will be even higher, because the load is very small. The regulation of a 18VA tranny could be 20% typical, so that 18V~ will be more like 22V~ at small loads. I think if you measure the regulators' input voltage, you will see over 30V there.

29v

:bigeyes:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
SimontY said:

Ahh, I knew there'd be come-back ;)

Mine's been working for ages now! I.e. not modded for ages... but I still have a psu upgrade for my clocks to do and an Audiocom Super reg to fit on the DAC digital. I just don't want to break it!
I seem to have the same problem here...:angel:

Everytime I need to do a new mod, I must concentrate myself for some time so I do not panic while working in the pcb.... it is very easy to damage.

Now... should I consider heatsinks in the +-12v sregs ?

Any other alternative ?

I specifically built the opamps dedicated psu with a 2x18v TX following other´s ideas on this forum... I intend to use the same psu for the future discrete outputs...

Ricardo

RCruz said:

I specifically built the opamps dedicated psu with a 2x18v TX following other´s ideas on this forum... I intend to use the same psu for the future discrete outputs...

Ricardo

I'm pretty sure Brent is running his discrete stage on +-15v. Less volt-drop compared to 12v.

I am running my discrete output on 12v, does upping the voltage improve the sound any?

Lee.

Re: C1 Clock report

RCruz said:
Gentlemen

As agrred, here my report after implementing the C1 clock on the dac:

Improved dynamics with noticeable silences.
Much better stereo image.
Stage depth and stability improvements.
Instrument placement better defined.
Instrument size "volume" recreating an holographic auditive picture.
Recording place echoes and reverbs well recreated (Laurie Anderson "Bright Red")
Much better instrument diferentiation and positioning in the soundstage.
Particular improvements in attack and decay.
Voice timbre and placement extraordinary improvements (Tori Amos)
Piano notes and reverb recreated with aplomb.

This mod completely transformed the player.

Now I believe that PDM signal must have a good clock to result.

Ricardo

Gosh, that's quite a list! Completely agree with all of that. The servo reclocking isn't quite as striking but does fix the hazy treble and provide more of the subtle details. Your player must be getting fairly "high end" now :D