Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Joined 2006
Paid Member
rowemeister said:
Good work Ricardo

Keep us posted whatr you think of this upgrade.

Hi Brent

From what I could hear yesterday, the sound is now more coherent with better high low freq integration.

There is less stridency in the highs.

I have been studying your pdf where you indicate to lift U197 U198 and connect directly to the star ground.

Now I have a doubt relating CD15 and CD16 GND. Should these GND be connected to the star earth as well ?

If so, how can I do it easily ?

Regards

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
rowemeister said:
It is very hard to split all the gnds, you can run a wire from under those caps to the star. This gives you a more direct gnd path, not sure it will improve things though.

Hi Brent

With the new DAC psu in place, I notice a better integration of all frequencies... better overall balance, but I lost the BIG BASS impact that I had before.

I must get the bass back and I am thinking about the 470uF BG on the opamps as well as the 220uF BG on CD15 CD16.... should this be enough ?

Note that I am using 2200uF 6.3v MCZ Rubycon on CD15 CD16... can I expect improvements by changing to 220uF BG ?

Also, the new DAC psu is prepared to feed the DAC digital on separate line.... If I put a sreg on dac digital will I get some bass improvements ?

Regards

Ricardo

Thomo said:
I would stick the bg's on cd15/16. They are a better cap, and this is quite a critical area (dac analog).

Also, in my experience digital lines sound better with smaller value caps. I use no more than 220uF on dac digital rails, I think it may be due to a faster response?

Lee.

Isn't this due to a larger ESL and increased ESR at higher frequencies of very large caps and their corresponding inability to effectively filter noise at very high frequencies?

This is why some people bypass caps for digital lines, but it's also been pointed out that small (nF range) caps have a very high ESR (across a wide range) so are also ineffective at decoupling psu rails.

The practical solution would seem to be to use a high quality capacitor of modest capacitance value close to the circuit being fed, or a no-compromise solution a large film cap next to each circuit, but to also ensure it doesn't cause the supply regulator problems (use of a good regulator perhaps required).

Simon

Joined 2006
Paid Member
SimontY said:

Isn't this due to a larger ESL and increased ESR at higher frequencies of very large caps and their corresponding inability to effectively filter noise at very high frequencies?

This is why some people bypass caps for digital lines, but it's also been pointed out that small (nF range) caps have a very high ESR (across a wide range) so are also ineffective at decoupling psu rails.

The practical solution would seem to be to use a high quality capacitor of modest capacitance value close to the circuit being fed, or a no-compromise solution a large film cap next to each circuit, but to also ensure it doesn't cause the supply regulator problems (use of a good regulator perhaps required).

I agree Simon

I always believed that we need good large caps on analog rails and smaller caps on digital.

My best choice for digital decoupling is OsCon.

Should I use Oscon on +5v dac digital ?

Ricardo

I have used Oscons on the dac digital before and the were very good. I also used Rubycon ZA and these gave a similar sound, very smooth with great tonal detail. But my favourites are defo BG Nx Hi-Q's, these seem to have all the detail of the ZA's but with more of a "live" sound.

Lee.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
rowemeister said:
Ricardo

Are you sure you have lost your BIG BASS or has (which I find with better modded players) the overall balance is better and appears to have less bass. Also run it for a good week to settle in.

Hi Brent

I believe you are right.... It needs more time to settle.

I hear the same Bass but also hear more mid level info I missed before.

Now is the time for the clock.

I Would prefer two clocks (dac for sounstage and timing + servo for improved detail) but must be cost conscious.

So I need your oppinion:

Does the combination Dac Clock + Divider give good results or should I wait and save more €€€ ?

I would like to use one of your PSU.

Can I use only one psu to feed the clock directly or must I use a Spower also (stupid question but in his site Lee informs that these psu can be used to feed the Spower ?!)

Can I use only one psu for the clock and divider ?

If I choose two clocks, can I use only one of your psu´s ?

Regards

Ricardo