Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

peufeu said:
... A good method I have applied is to use anti-static foam (like the one that came in your computer's motherboard box) and stick it below the PCB, so it will support the PCB and prevent it from slapping around. You could use other stuff if you like.

Antistatic foam IS conductive. :hot:

Have you measured it with a DMM ?

I have plenty of that stuff here, and it's all reading between 500R and 5k (depending of the orientation of the probes).

clock output

Hello
After assembling a ( can i say) 'chinese clock' i have found the output to be 2.7v dc but with 50 hz detectable. all has been assembled and triple checked correctly, its runs off a 12v ac nuvotem, also the polarity of output is not whats expected.. the square solder pad is showing the -ve.
any ideas please Simon or Brent.. re page 980

Many thanks
ian

Re: clock output

ian21 said:
Hello
After assembling a ( can i say) 'chinese clock' i have found the output to be 2.7v dc but with 50 hz detectable. all has been assembled and triple checked correctly, its runs off a 12v ac nuvotem, also the polarity of output is not whats expected.. the square solder pad is showing the -ve.

Many thanks
ian

Hi Ian,

It's not my area of expertise, I'm afraid. Do you think this 50hz is coming off the mains? What kind of capacitor smoothing is there?

Simon

Re: clock output

avr300 said:
Antistatic foam IS conductive. :hot:
Have you measured it with a DMM ?

The ones they use to ship ICs, yep. The one in my last motherboard box wasn't... I wonder if it's still "antistatic", lol. Probably has some treatment.

ian21 said:
Hello
Many thanks
ian

Hey, interesting, I was wondering about the performance of the chinese clock, so can you please post a pic, or schematics, and a pic of your scope trace ?

clock ouput

Thanks for the reply Simon, yes the 50.11hz on the output is the same as coming off the nuvotem input it has a 470uf, 100uf & 22uf on input side with a few 100nf on the output side. Thought i'd have a quick check before connecting to the dac, I suppose 2.7v dc is ok just the 50hz i find worrying. could this damage the player ? or just wont read?

thanks again Ian

Re: clock ouput

ian21 said:
re page 980

I don't have that many pages hehe. Please tell me the post no.

peufeu said:
The one in my last motherboard box wasn't... I wonder if it's still "antistatic", lol. Probably has some treatment.

I doubt it, motherboards always come in an antistatic bag, which then sits on the foam cushion.

ian21 said:
Thanks for the reply Simon, yes the 50.11hz on the output is the same as coming off the nuvotem input it has a 470uf, 100uf & 22uf on input side with a few 100nf on the output side. Thought i'd have a quick check before connecting to the dac, I suppose 2.7v dc is ok just the 50hz i find worrying. could this damage the player ? or just wont read?

No idea really mate, but I think it sounds normal! I guess that amount of smoothing is adequate for a small current draw. Some people use a lot more, of course.

I'd connect it, but then I am the kind of guy who'll skid to a stop in deep gravel and earth 1m before the barrier of a slip road because I almost missed the junction off the motorway at over 70mph and the slip lane's already full of cars.

Simon

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thomo said:

That's not as bad as it seems, you can remove the entire drive mechanism along with the main-board fairly well.

ps - my dac appears to have stopped outputting any signal. Any ideas? It was working the last time I played it, all feeds into the discrete read 0v

Lee.

Hi Lee

Removing the mech would be even more problematic.... I made all the mods without ever removing the large ribbon connecting the main pcb with the display pcb (It is soldered in my cd53).

Hope you sorted out the dac issue.:(

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: Caps on Super Rayregs

rowemeister said:

Lots of care was taken when designing the reg, one of those smt caps is actually 10uF lol.
State of the Art....

jimh0612 said:
Hi guys.

C1 master clock now installed and very impressed, Brent.

Now to redo the regs.

I have been using the basic Rayregs and want to upgrade them to SuperRayregs by adding the VBE before the reg (still LM317 based)

I have quite a few 220u/16v Cerafines, and wondered if it would be ok to put these on the regs between output/ground.

Is it better to stick with the smaller 10u/16v tants, which I think may be faster?
Hi Jim

You mean you have a C1 for the dac clock ?

Relating to sregs, I am using 317 based ones, built using red leds instead of resistors to set the voltage. Also using a capacitance multiplier. On the outputs I have Cerafine and BG depending on the reg use.

Here you have the components:
R122 (+5v PSU DIGITAL) +5V Sreg (LM317 + 2xRed Led bypassed by 220uF Elna + 121r (pins 1-2) + gyrator (BC550C + 120uF Pana FC) + 100uF25v ELNA Cerafine output

R123 (+5v PSU ANALOG) +5V Sreg (LM317 + 2xRed Led bypassed by 10uF Tant + 121r (pins 1-2) + gyrator (BC550C + 120uF Pana FC) + 220uF BG STD output

With these regs on the servo I get Deep tight bass, big overall detail improvement.

Now I will replace the analog dac sreg by a spower.....;)

I believe a good cap after the sreg dramatically enhances the transient response.
Also I think High End is about over doing it.......:D

Ricardo

Re: Re: Caps on Super Rayregs

RCruz said:

Hi Jim

You mean you have a C1 for the dac clock ?

Also I think High End is about over doing it.......:D

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo

1) Yep and

2) Hear hear.

C1 DAC clock, been thinking about divider circuit for the servo - can't afford another C1 unfortunately! This one was a Christmas present from my beautiful wife!!

Thanks for the Reg advice.

You won't be sorry with a C1!

Regards
Jim