Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Re: Re: Re: update

awpagan said:
have you got the pcb layout?

Just the scanned service manual that most people seem to have.

awpagan said:
been using rca out into headphone amp for over 2 hrs
forgot to say had removed link U227

just now while typing cut link U225, definition improved again
big difference between u225 connected and not:D

now psu earthed through U267

allan

Wow! Just cutting a link can be an upgrade?! That's cool!

Time to look at mine again.... think I broke some other stuff taking it out (now that the back panel is connected to the pcb things get razzed when pulling it away from the chassis).

Re: update

awpagan said:
modded earthing.

IEC plug earth to chassis star point
removed links from U136, 169, 235, 221, 267, 208 to the top grd plane.
run wire from these points to star grd chassis
run wire from U208 and U267 top grd plane to star earth

also from thorston's notes RD01,RD04,R117,R118 and RF01 replaced with 1Mh chokes and ferrite beads.

removed outup mute on rca out only

listen through headphones (unmodded circuit) to pink floyd before and after mods with same beyer DT880's

sound? I can pickout clearly what is bing said in the begining (lead in) in the first sound.
improved detail a lot:D

Everything else in the player is standard cd67 not SE.

waiting on clock, caps etc
will have to try it through the valve headphone amp. (has volume control)

allan

couldn't be bothered typing it again

I'm using U267 as earth for psu part
therefore i could cut U227 and U225
i have U267 connected to star earth

last page in manual do you have pcb track layout?

allan

ps the pdf that ray sent me was 8 pages

poynton said:
Back to basics...

With the lid off , power on and no cd..
When you close the cd drawer, does the laser try to focus, about 6 up/down movements.

Yes, it seems to. The lens goes up and down a few times, it sort of pops up, then down, then up...

With cd in, what happens when you close the drawer?

Just says dISC, and makes the same usual mild grinding noise. The lens pops up and down and the disc fails to spin. The sled remains in its back-most position.

Do you have the 'service mode' instructions?

Yes. It gives an Error 12 - SLED Error.

Does the connector still have it's little clamp mechanism?

I don't think so..

Basically, it's not a happy bunny. And this is the same way it was broken before. And it randomly fixed itself last time :xeye:

SimontY said:

Yes, it seems to. The lens goes up and down a few times, it sort of pops up, then down, then up...

Just says dISC, and makes the same usual mild grinding noise. The lens pops up and down and the disc fails to spin. The sled remains in its back-most position.

Yes. It gives an Error 12 - SLED Error.

I don't think so..

Basically, it's not a happy bunny. And this is the same way it was broken before. And it randomly fixed itself last time :xeye:

If the clamping mech. is missing, that could be the fault . Did the sled test work at all - you have to push the button to reverse direction.

Andy

simon. Not all players have a clamp on the ribbon connector. Some are push fit like yours and mine.

So when you turn on the player (not in service mode) does the laser move to the spindle motor and start to pump up and down?

If it does and the disc spins but wont read the disc I would say the connector is faulty. The ribbon pushes against the sprung pins in the connector and these become weak after loads of times being unpluged, you end up with intermittent connection between ribbon and socket.

Trust me i'm a doctor!

rowemeister said:
simon. Not all players have a clamp on the ribbon connector. Some are push fit like yours and mine.

So when you turn on the player (not in service mode) does the laser move to the spindle motor and start to pump up and down?

If it does and the disc spins but wont read the disc I would say the connector is faulty. The ribbon pushes against the sprung pins in the connector and these become weak after loads of times being unpluged, you end up with intermittent connection between ribbon and socket.

Trust me i'm a doctor!

Hi Brent, I think what you describe is what happens, but I can't identify the parts well enough to be sure.

The disc does not spin unless it's in service mode.

poynton said:

Not so easy to do.

First, I would try a piece of sellotape on the rear of both ends of the ribbon cable to give a little more pressure on the contacts. Do not get any on the contact side!

Andy

I like this idea... I just tried it, and while it made the wire go in much tighter, the player is still growling at me. My problem must be elsewhere, do you reckon?

Simon