Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2019, 07:09 AM   #21121
me64 is offline me64  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Modification marantz cd67 mkII

Hi all,

Help!!!

I Like to start with a modification of my cd67 mk2.
I've read lots of articles that my head is spinning at the moment, i dunno where to start. Power supply,DAC HDAM CLOCK.... pfffffff.

What would be the first mod that i can do? I cant spend hundreds of euro,s but i want to start my first mod project.

Any suggestion would be appriciated.

Regards.

Fred
Old 14th January 2019, 06:49 PM   #21122
madis64 is offline madis64  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Welcome to the club ;-)

You could start by working through this thread:

But from my own experience - you should get immediate difference in sound with relatively low cost by using DOS-output stage and providing separately regulated power to it. If you use relays then you may be able to switch between the DOS and native output stage to provide live comparison.
Whether you like the new sound or not - that is another story. I like it but "friends of digital silence" may not join me...
After that you can upgrade the power feeds to different chips, the clock may be a bit costly and "overkill" for a start.
It is a long journey...
Old 16th January 2019, 12:52 PM   #21123
diyAudio Member

Thnx very much. Would The Flea be a good decision with separated power supply?

I have 2 pages of mods that could be done and carefully read them, analyzing things i dont understand. (Been awhile since basics electronics at school) but i'm getting there with some help.

So, thnx again.

Fred
Old 16th January 2019, 06:12 PM   #21124
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by me64 View Post
Would The Flea be a good decision with separated power supply?
I sincerely do not think you will be hearing any effect from the change of clock unless you have sorted out the analogue output stage and - to some extent - the power rails.

So I would postpone the clock replacement to "some time later on" when you have sorted out the basics.

But whatever you are going to do - how do you intend to evaluate the changes in sound?
Old 17th January 2019, 07:29 AM   #21125
diyAudio Member

This old cd player needed some standard tlc i think. (Elec.capicitators) i might aswell make a few mods while doing this. I am a big fan of pure analogue so maybe i can get that sound out of this machine.

Fred
Old 17th January 2019, 07:58 AM   #21126
diyAudio Member

To keep a bit money in my pocket i think i'll stick to optimize power supply separating digital and analog. Making a DOS for the analog outputstage! (Darn...sounding like a pro but havent a clue, internet can help me and you guys!!. (And girls!!)

Fred
Old 17th January 2019, 10:19 PM   #21127
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by me64 View Post
Making a DOS for the analog outputstage! (Darn...sounding like a pro but havent a clue, ...
Do a search for "DOS-output" in the Digital source subforum and you will find relevant posts there.
You can also find the BOMs for replacement parts in the beginning of the thread linked in my first response.

As an alternative you could try a DOS-stage variation (should be easier to build in the beginning) - use the input filter from it and feed the signal into e.g. OPA2132/4 opamp (certainly using appropriate feedback).

BTW, have you not considered posting your modification questions into the "master thread" - more people could be following that and responding to you...
Old 9th February 2019, 03:17 PM   #21128
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Good to see that this thread is still alive :-)
Old 9th February 2019, 04:05 PM   #21129
Malefoda is offline Malefoda  France
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Malefoda
It started with dinosaurs and will survive mankind!
Old 13th February 2019, 07:59 PM   #21130
martin clark is offline martin clark  Europe
diyAudio Member

...and some of us have become dinosaurs meanwhile

Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods listHide this!Advertise here!